Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Jbnachman

Fear not my friend. The PS Audi DirectStream gets MUCH MUCH MUCH better after even some break in. These DACs need even more break in time than most. The consensus seems to be around 400 hours. Trust me is will evolve into a totally different component. The Auralic Vega isn't even close and not in the same class I am quite familiar with that DAC. The DS needs break in. It is sort of a painful process but you will be rewarded. Trust me I owned the MK I - MK II and the DS. You will be happy. Also, that USB cable will not let you get near to its potential. I just went through a whole USB cable ordeal and can speak to their great importance especially when just plugging to into a computer. I have learned from this actual post that I need to work on my transport to get better sound. At min at this level you should try a Audioquest Diamond or a Wireworld Platinum. It will make a difference.

On another note the Bricasti is already sounding much much better with not a whole of break in under its belt and I am very impressed!!!! I want to wait longer on more comments because the cable and dac are too new but this a totally different beast than I have been accustomed to and been around. This thing is a very serious piece of audio equipment. Very serious and I am gonna go out on a limb and say I think my tube equipment, cabling and transducers are very good synergy matches because it is quickly becoming apparent why some people describe this DAC as the best sounding digital component there is... I am really just waiting and hearing it get better and trying to get used to it while it evolves. Very special piece and already much better than I could have hoped for! After my problem with my USB cable that sort of hedged my expectations for this piece but that was a mistake to do that for sure...
Glad to hear that your M1 DAC is continuing to improve and that it's already exceeding your admittedly high expectations! It should continue to evolve with more break-in time along with your new USB cable. It is indeed a superbly engineered and built example of what a high end audio component should be, along with Bricasti's excellent level of support. A product you can really be proud to own.
My experience with the DS DAC is that it does take about 500 hours to begin sounding good. And even at that, you may wind up having to move speaker setups, check your room treatments, etc.

I have a pair of Vandy subs, so bass is not an issue. If it were, I'd adjust the subs, but I never had the need.

It is a remarkable DAC, and I don't expect to part with mine anytime in the near future. I'm lovin' it.
Sabai I think Mcondon was referring to a few of the posts out there where the owners have been pretty critical of the DS and are not big fans of it and there were more than few of them as opposed to the reviewers but we all know how that goes with them...

I am not one of them. I loved my DirectStream!

I think it is an outstanding DAC and I really enjoyed it and it totally took my system to the next level and then some. It was the best DAC I ever owned up until I purchased the Bricasti which I don't want to get into quite yet other than to say the Bricasti is "clearly and distinctly" a much better DAC than the DirectStream. Actually it's a pretty unfair comparison but we'll get into that later.

Please understand that doesn't take anything away from the outstanding DirectStream that clearly punches well above its weight. The Bricasti's retail price is over $9,000.00 and even at that lofty price point it's position is that of a "Bang for Buck" performance alternative to the more expensive big boys out there. I am told the last few hardware/software Bricasti upgrades really propelled it to another level...

I just needed to hear them both in my room and in my system but now I need go through the process that we all endure with new components of letting them burn in properly. It's a bitter sweat process but heck its all part of the fun!

I am one of those guys that enjoys the idea of pushing my system forward until it gets to who knows where. I am sure I am going to make a mistake along the way and before I solved the USB cable problem I was having with my new Bricasti I thought that may been have the case here when I traded in my DirectStream toward the Bricasti but after just a couple days of break in I can definitively say that is not the case and thankfully so...
Mcondon,

I also note you have stated, "I doubt the Direct Stream will hold its value either, especially since it seems to get somewhat mixed reviews from people who have heard it or own it. It seems to need 1000 hours of break-in to sound its best ...".

Regarding DACs holding their value, can you name a single DAC that has held "its value" over a period of more than one year. Of course, it also depends on what you mean by "its value". Do you mean your purchase price, or the after market price 6 months or 12 months or more down the line, or something else?

Also, I have yet to read a mixed review from anyone who owns the DS DAC. And it is clearly stated by PS Audio -- and reaffirmed on many forums by DS DAC owners -- that break-in for the DS DAC requires 500 hours -- not 1000 hours as you have misstated.