CD's for auditioning

Hi...

Can anybody suggest CD's/titles that are good for auditioning audio equipments? SOngs that will really test the lows, mids, highs and clarity?

doodleboytoyb266
Dire Straits-On every Street album in particular " planet of New Orleans"
Dire Straits- Brothers in arms album particularly "latest trick"
Chesky -ultimate demonstration disk particularly Rebecca Pigeon "Spanish Harlem"
I agree that you must pick music that you like or you will be wasting your time. Also, if you don't know how the track is supposed to sound you will have no reference. Here are disks that I currently like for music that is important to me. I usually bring these along with several other CD's. I like to bring about a dozen to an audition. My choice of tests disks does change from time to time.

Gattaca Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
**Tracks 1 & 3, melody line not completely in unison and complex harmonic chords that seem to straddle the crossover between mid and woofer. I have only heard one speaker under $2000 that does well on these pieces.

Duke Ellington & Friends (Verve/BMG D 160384)
**Track 11 - It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got that swing). Recorded live in 1966. One of the best live recordings I have ever heard. Excellent test of soundstaging, vocals, and highs(with the trumpet at the end). Dirt cheap CD if you can find it. (I bought at Target for $2.99).

Dire Straights, Brothers in Arms (Imported XRCD version $39.99 at amusicdirect.com)
**Track 2, Money for Nothing. For speakers, initial guitar solo and synth drums must sound right. For amps, there must be dynamic contrast between the beginning of the song and the guitar solo. I listen at higher volumes and stop after the guitar solo.
**Track 11, Brothers in Arms. Good lower register test for speakers. Also good for male vocals.
Other tracks on this album are also useful for listening as mentioned in other posts.

BluePort Jazz Sampler.
**Tracks 1 & 2. Excellent live recording & female vocals.

Michael Jackson, "Bad." (get the remastered special edition version of this album)
**Track 9. Dirty Diana. Good lower register test.
**Track 10. Smooth Criminal. Excellent mid-bass slam test (I like my system to ROCK). After the heartbeat, the midbass line should sound forcefull and tight, not soft in any sense. Excellent for amplifier control and speaker testing - must be played at higher volume.

Harry Connick Jr. Blue Light, Red Light.
**Track 2. A Blessing and a Curse. Listen for the accuracy and tonality of the string bass line in the background.
**Track 8. The Last Payday. Listen for String Bass, Trombone, Pool ball crack & hits, other instruments.
**Track 11. Just Kiss Me. Good for dynamic range test. Many other attributes to listen for.

Stereophile Test CD (#1).
**Track 10. One of my favorite piano performances. Excellent recording and a great song. Manager should be easily heard saying "Bravo!" in the background at the end of the piece.
**Tracks 20-31. Warble tones, only if I suspect a room or speaker resonance. If you have a buzz instead of a warble, there is a resonance somewhere.
just in case you'd like to try something other than rock:
"Tango Ballet"(Astor Piazolla) Gidon Kremer/Kremer Baltica (the entire CD)
"Maria de Bueno Aires" (Astor Piazolla) Gidon Kremer/Kremer Baltica,track "Yo Soy Maria" vocals by Julia Zenko
Radio Tarifa "Rumbo Argelina" track 'Baile de la Bolla'
"El Tango" Gidon Kremer track 'Che Tango Che' vocals by Milva
"Sergio & Odair Assad Play Piazolla" track 'Escualo'
"The Clown" Charles Mingus track 'Haitian Fight Song'
"The Complete Africa/Brass Sessions" John Coltrane Quartet, track 'Song of the Underground Railroad'
"Nuevo Latino" Putumayo World Music compilation, tracks 1,3,4,10,11
Cheskys the Ultimate Demonstration Disc and Patricia Barbers Modern Cool on Mofi sacd hybrid.
The Shadows - moonlight shadows , a great mix of classic and contemporery tracks , give it a listen its budget priced but as anyone would know theres nothing cheap about
hank marvin and the shadows music.