What 5ch or 3/2 to match Aragon 8008bb?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to solicit your advice; I'm having a hard time finding any answers to this question.

I'm picking up an 8008bb Aragon for my mains, but i'm running a 7.1 system, and need to get amplification that will match well with the 'bb'.

Any suggestions? I've heard the acurus a200x5 is voiced similarly; and I've thought an 8008x3 for the center and 2 side surrounds, with a cheap amp for the rear surrounds might work as well...

I'd like to keep it around $2k total if I can, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

-Kincade
kincade
Well, I decided to buy one of both; I got an 8008bb, and i've got the sherbourn sitting here waiting to be installed. I'll post my impressions later, when I've had time to listen to both.

Thanks for all the advice!
Kincade,

I wish I had seen this post sooner. I have an 8008BB running my mains with an 8008x5 for the rest of the system. All channels match perfectly - assuming well matched speakers.

I also have an Acurus A200x3 that I used to use for the center and rear surrounds, along with the 8008BB. The Acurus amp matches very closely to the 8008's, except that it has a slight grain to its sound, and its gain is slightly different. For all practical purposes though, they match very closely. If given a choice, I would choose the 8008x5 because it does match seamlessly.

The 8008's are extremely clean, neutral sounding amps, and they run class A up to 26W. I used to hear a slight edge to the sound, but after adding effective power conditioning it is virtually gone. What very little is still detectable I attribute to other sources in my system that still need to be upgraded. After all, it's difficult for an amp with a bandwidth in excess of 500kHz to not be clean in the audio range. There may still be issues with IM, but based upon extensive listening they must be very small.

All-in-all, I love these amps and have no plans to replace them in the forseeable future. And yes, I do shut them off when I'm not using them. :o)
SLV,

thanks for the response! I was very curious how the Acurus matched up with the Aragon; I don't think the grain would be that noticeable in the rear surrounds, as they carry so little information...

How much heat do the 2 generate for you? Do you have them on a single 15A circuit?

Thanks again!
Kincade,

I agree - I don't think you will notice anything by using an Acurus amp for the rear surrounds - the difference is fairly subtle.

As far as heat is concerned, the 8008's and the Acurus are only warm to the touch after several hours of use driving 4 ohm Magnepan speakers, assuming they are given sufficient space for cooling - just follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

When I ran them together, they were on a single 15A circuit with no problems.

I hope this helps. :o)