jbl k2s9800 seg wood grain keep or sell?

i just purchased a pair of jbl k2s9800 speakers for my home,i am not a audiophile by no means[not yet]however i love loud clear music,i have a basic onkyo reciever that puts out about 100watts. it sounded better with my old infinity sm150 speakers,should i buy a amp [if so what kind] the k2s9800 were recommened by a friend that is not avaiable for advise any longer,it seems to me the new speakers would be better suited for a concert hall, etc? they have networks,crossovers,bi-amp,all differant types of componants that i know nothing about?i am leaning towards selling them,but what catagory would suit them,what amount should i sell them for?[ i paid $13,500.00 a piece plus tax and shipping] i do realize i sound like a idiot [especially on this web site] but i am in a bind and really need some advise from you guys!! thanks corey
croweshead5215
You have a pretty fabulous pair of speakers there, judging from reviews I've read, and you're powering it with a mass-market reciever. I'm not surprised it doesn't sound good, $27K speakers deserve a world class amplifier. Now I don't know the specs of the speaker, if you could post sensitivity and impedance figures it would help us in making amp recommendations. But hang in there, those are world class speakers and with some effort you'll achieve world class sound and be happy with the result. Please also remember to have fun with the process. Now do a little research and get back to us, please also include your budget for amp and preamp. Good luck!
jond, the specs are,power handling:400w[rms],frequency response:45Hz-50kHz,low frequency extension:35Hz[-10db],sensitivity:94db[2.83v/1m],nominal impedance:8ohms,crossover frequency:800Hz-10kHz,low frequency driver:380mm[15"]pulp cone woofer[1500al],high frequency driver:75mm[3"]pure beryllium compression driver[435Be]+38mm[1.5"]-throat Bi-radial horn,ultra high frequency driver:25mm[1"]pure beryllium compression driver[045Be]+8.9mm[0.35"]-throat bi-radial horn.that is all the specs i have as far as my amp budget i have around $1,000.00 to $2,000.00, i would like to stay with a harman kardon brand [or jbl ] within the near future i will have a much larger budget for a permanent system thanks again for the advise corey
As I said that speaker deserves a great amp. For now do yourself a favor and get a value priced tube amp, something like a Cary Rocket 88 or a C-J MV60. If you search this site you will find one or both in your price range. Forget about HK or JBL amps, trust me. These great speakers deserve good amplification and with those specs they're crying out for tubes. Try it.
The amp selection will be in tune with the music you listen to. If you think that the Infinitys sound better than these massive JBLs, than I have to guess that you might be into some rock or other demanding type of music. I would second Jond's choice of tube amps...for your speakers seem to be sensitive enough for them. Furthermore, I would add to the list some sort of pure Class A type of amps, like Clayton S40, with 40 pounding watts for sheer Class A, hot and dynamic power.

No HK or JBL amp, unless the HK is vintage, tube amps will make your speakers sing.

A good choice for tubed power amps are the Sonic Frontiers Power 1, 55watts per channel or the Power 2, at 110 watts, both will run you either between 1-2K respectively. If you chose the power 1, then you might have 1k left, which you can invest in a sort used tubed preamp. Should you chose to go this path, let us know how it works out.

PS: Other tube choices are VK60, BAT tubed amp or the VK200, pure Class A 100watts....around 2k-$1300 respectively.

No HK or JBL solid state amp will allow you to squeeze the best out of that system. JBLs sound either very accurate, but fatiguing in the long run, therefore you need to make you that you get gear that will not add to the brightness or tizziness that those exotic drivers can produce.