Preamp Recommendations Lamm, Ayre K-1x, BAT 31SE

Curent System:
Ayre V-5x amp
Levinson 390S CDP directly driving the Ayre
Dynaudio Contour 3.0 Speakers
Au24 speaker cables, Audience Power Cord, PS Audio P300 for CDP, Cardas Golden Cross XLR IC

As much as I like the transparency of the CDP directly driving the amp, the system is begging for a high quality preamp. I've never owned tube gear, but am interesting in trying a good one. I like what I have read about the Lamm LL2, the Ayre-1x, and the BAT 31SE. Of course there are so many other offerings from Hovland, Sonic Fronteirs, ARC, C-J, CAT, and so on.....

I listen to a lot of vocals (Joni Mitchell, Nora Jones, Lucinda Williams, Ella Fitzgerald) and simple jazz arrangements, and occasionaly rock (Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, dave mathews).

As lazy as it sounds, I also want/need a remote (which eliminates many). Also, for some perhaps stupid reason, I want it to handle XLR in/out since that's what I currently have.

Your thoughts and expereinces (especially Ayre or other good SS amp owners) GREATLY appreciated.
artg
Update: after some listening, I decided to go with the Ayre K-1xe. Overall imaging and transparency champ, with some admirable tube-like qualities, yet no tube hassles. Obviously mates well with the Ayre Amp, and the combo of Ayre and Sonus Faber (i got the Guarneri Homage - an unbeleivable speaker) sound GREAT. Down the line I may add a sub, for for now, Im in audio nirvana.

Having done SS w/ the Ayre, I must say I also loved the tubed gear i auditioned. I just got a good deal on the Ayre, and this timeless piece will always be resellable in the future, should I decide to go nuts again. to review the recent wholesale changes to the system:

The "Old" System:
Amp: McCormack DNA-1
Source: Levinson 390S
preamp: NONE, I Used the 390S direct into the DNA
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 3.0
Cables: Audince AU24 speaker, Cardas Golden Cross IC

New System:
Amp: Ayre V-5x
Source: Levinson 390S (i kept it)
Preamp: Ayre K-1xe
Speakers: Sonus Faber Guarneri's
Cables: Cardas Golden Reference all around.
Other: PS AUDIO P300 Power plant on the source and pre

THANKS GAIN for all the helpful opinions and advice. This is a very enjoyable forum to have for all us audio nuts.
Art
Congrats on joining the Ayre K-1X club!

Also, good choice on the cabling. I too use a Cardas Golden Reference between my amp and preamp. (Although I do use an Audience AU24 for my cdp to preamp cable. It works quite well too.)

If you use the PS Audio P300 on the new Ayre preamp, let me know how it works out for you. (Ayre suggests not using any power conditioning, so I have not experimented with that as yet. Instead, I am spending my money on having dedicated circuits installed, this Monday as a matter of fact.)

Hope everything works out well for you!
Hey Kurt, i have yet to use the preamp WITHOUT the P300, but i will try it. I think this is a little different than a conditioner (which I know Ayre poo poo's), it's a power regererator. It just makes grade A current (vs filtering or modifying it), and I will say it made a big difference w/ the Levinson CDP. Il l try it and see what happens straight into the wall....

One last thing. Look into the "evolution" upgrade for this preamp, it runs $500, and accrording to the AYre people its a HUGE diffference. I will be doing it in a month or two, once I recover financially from all this spending!
WHOA - what was I thinking, the Ayre preamp sounds much better running directly into the wall (vs into the P300 multiwave). More dyamic, richer, though perhaps a little noisier. I'll take it!
Artg,

Thanks for the update. I appreciate your testing that out.
Glad to see you really like the Ayre! (I will let you know if running dedicated lines helps out, as those are being installed tomorrow!)

(If you are ever so inclined, the phono boards are really very good in the K-1X. They are ever so quiet, very dynamic, and great frequency response. Plus, by not having a seperate phono preamp, I save on not having to buy another damn expensive interconnect!)

By the way, please update me on the "e" upgrade to the Ayre when you get it too! If you think it is worth the $500, I will get it done too. (Although, I will be bummed being without my preamp for probably a month or so. Maybe I will send it off when I go on vacation.)