Preamp Recommendations Lamm, Ayre K-1x, BAT 31SE

Curent System:
Ayre V-5x amp
Levinson 390S CDP directly driving the Ayre
Dynaudio Contour 3.0 Speakers
Au24 speaker cables, Audience Power Cord, PS Audio P300 for CDP, Cardas Golden Cross XLR IC

As much as I like the transparency of the CDP directly driving the amp, the system is begging for a high quality preamp. I've never owned tube gear, but am interesting in trying a good one. I like what I have read about the Lamm LL2, the Ayre-1x, and the BAT 31SE. Of course there are so many other offerings from Hovland, Sonic Fronteirs, ARC, C-J, CAT, and so on.....

I listen to a lot of vocals (Joni Mitchell, Nora Jones, Lucinda Williams, Ella Fitzgerald) and simple jazz arrangements, and occasionaly rock (Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, dave mathews).

As lazy as it sounds, I also want/need a remote (which eliminates many). Also, for some perhaps stupid reason, I want it to handle XLR in/out since that's what I currently have.

Your thoughts and expereinces (especially Ayre or other good SS amp owners) GREATLY appreciated.
artg
Not that anybody cares what the "big reviewers" do, but Michael Fremer of stereophile, a devout tube nut, uses the Ayre K-1x as his reference preamp. Most people like having tubed preamps to drive their ss amps, but if you can afford the power, or dont need as much of it, a tubed amp does very nicely. In your case, I think there are plenty of high powered tubed amps worth considereing. VTL, Audio Research and Manlley Labs come to mind. At a more ridiculous price point, the Lamm hybrids would definitely meet your power needs as well.

I would not try to send you into another buying frenzy, but you owe it to your self to at least AUDITION a tubed amp (maybe an Audio Research VT200), or VTL monos - just to see how where the other half is coming from. I may end up with other gear in the future, but as of now, there will be tubes in some form or another.

Remind me what amp you're using now with the Revel's, and what kind of music you're into these days....
Well to be honest, I am not a big Michael Fermer fan.
(Which is ironic, since I am a big analog fan.) I just feel his reviews are catering to the subscribers of Stereophile. (More so than most of the others, well, except for Sam maybe.) I really took exception to his review of the Ayre P-5x phono preamp. He pointed our that Ayre specifically states that their phono preamps are best used via the balanced inputs. He then goes on to brag about which balanced phono cables he has in his home. (Then he states he did not bother to use them. This is the sign of a lazy reviewer in my opinion.) Anyway, enough about him!

Regarding your suggestion to audition some really nice tube amps, I have with a friend who audtioned 4 really nice tube mono-block amps with his system. (My friend's system is the system whose sound I am chasing. He has an ARC Ref. 1 preamp, a Aesthetix Rhea phono preamp, a VPI HRX turntable, with a Koetsu Urushi cartridge, and he uses Avalon Eidolon speakers. Great system.) Anyway, we tried out the Kora Cosmos (100wpc), the BAT VK150's, the Manley Neoclassic 250's and the VTL 450's. His main music listening selections are typically symphonic pieces and jazz. With the symphony music, he listens at realistic sound levels (ie. loud!), which really tests an amp. The Kora sounded great, but only with small Jazz pieces. It sounded compressed with larger symphonic pieces. The BAT sounded better with the symphonic pieces, but not as good with the Jazz. The Manley's sounded really good, but he managed to get it to clip on a rather large and loud symphonic piece. The VTL managed to do everything right.

(Howeer, one thing I noticed in listening to these four tube monoblock amps however, was that when we went from one amp to the next, increasing in power with each amp, in seemed that they lost some of that tube "magic" as the power increased.) That is one of the reasons I have not gone back to a tube amp. That and the cost and hassles of using tubes. I am not a tweaker, and don't really want to be caught up in the whole tube rolling and biasing ritual that tube amps require. (Yeah, I am Lazy. Perhaps I should be a Stereophile reviewer?!)

Anyway, I am currently using a Levinson No. 23 amp. It has 200 wpc, and sounds really good with the Studio's. At some point, I would like to go to monoblocks, but I am unsure which ones to get. I know that I need at least 200wpc, and would like to have more actually.

FYI: I had picked out the Pass Labs Aleph 1.2 monoblocks (based on research only mind you!), as being the closest a SS amp gets to tubes. However, due to them being a pure Class A amp, they run VERY HOT (it was told to me that they were like having 2 1200 space heaters in the room!), and they use a kilowatt an hour of power, even when they are just being warmed up. Another owner of them told me he could not use them during the summer, as they made the room sweltering. (I live in California, where we have high temperatures 5 months out of the year, so it would require owning two sets of amps That is too expensive for me. And no, I don't have air conditioning.)

Anyway, keep in touch as to how the Ayre and the ARC tube amps work out for you!

Good Luck!
I've just extensively auditioned the K-1x vs the BAT VK51se and the Calypso. With my Krell amp and Revel speakers the Ayre is the best by a mile. The Calypso beat the BAT. This order really surprised me. I expected the BAT to beat the others hands down...but it didn't. The BAT's only leg up on the others is dynamics. THe Ayre has more detail within the notes, more harmonic interlayering (musical) better sound stage etc. I actually compared the Ayre with the Big (25K?) Boulder and the Ayre was just more musical and relaxed without any lose of detail or upper register definition. Guitar and pianos put out a lot of upper harmonic structure that I've only heard through the Ayre. I've never listened to the Lamm.

Buy the way I'm referring the the K-1xe. I listened at the factory in Boulder last week. I've never even heard the earlier K-1x version(s).
A funny (yet predictable) thing happened when my wife found out how much I paid for that ARC VT100 (new)...... 1) I had some splainin' to do, 2) i slept on the couch, 3) I returned to that dealer, tail between my legs and apologetically asked for my money back :(

Oh, well i loved the combination so i will eventually own SOME tube amp to go with the K-1x! Maybve after I sell the V-5x.
Kurt - if you get the itch for mono amps again, audition the Herron M150s. The are outstanding, especially the latest editions...and don't pay attention to Fremer's ancient review in S'phile. The Herron preamps are excellent as well.