Recommendation for inexpensive integrated

I'm trying to help out a friend who is finally willing to put a toe into the audiophile world. He picked up a pair of NHT SB3s on sale at Audio Advisor on my recommendation. Now he needs a new integrated amp or receiver, but doesn't want to spend a bunch. I was thinking of the Cambridge Audio Azur 640, but I see that Sam Tellig gave it a mixed review in Stereophile. Do others like that amp? Any other recommendations in the $500 or below price category? (I own a Creek 5350SE myself, but that's too expensive for my friend.) Note that the NHTs are not very efficient so some wattage is needed.
Thanks a lot!
dbz
Howdy. I just came from Spearitsound in Boston to demo an integrated for my 11 year old son for the holidays. I listened to the NAD320BEE, Rotel 02 and Cambridge Audio 540. To my ears the Cambridge was the best of the 3. The Rotel was the clear looser in this group while the NAD came in second. The CA amp was pretty good, smoother, more detailed and delicate, a little airy too. Not bad for around $300 bucks. I paired it w/ the 540 CDP, T500 tuner (older model) and B&W 303's. A nice little holiday gift to start off a young audiophile who's on his way up!
Hammer ...

Not surprised and hope your son enjoys the set-up ... it's a sweet one. Cambridge Audio (and Rotel for that matter) pair together very nicely with B&W and the pairing comes up frequently enough in the British hifi magazines. NAD tends to pair very well with PSB and NHT (amongst others ... obviously).

Regards, Rich
I would suggest the Audio Refinement Complete. I may be a bit over the $500 budget however. You should be able to pick one up used for about $550.

Paul