Is a pre/pro considered digtal or analog ?

I ask this due to the advise given here to put analog on
a different circuit than the digital equipment. I am confused because the experts say that a pre-amp is analog but my pre/pro (Rotel 1066) has it's own DAC's which, I think, would make it digital also !
Perplexed and befuddled !
saki70
As far as I know, in pre/pros you can by-pass all the digial circuits meaning that the signal will go in analog and go out analog, that happens when you use the DAC in your CDP using RCA cables out. Now, if you use a digital or Coax cable, you will send a digital signal to your pre/pro and will use it's own DAC's, see which one you like more and go for it.

As for your question...I'm not sure, my inexperienced mind would think that it is analog when you're using it as a Pre shuting off all the digital circuits and digital when it's processing video signals i.e.: Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.

Rgds.
I'd consider it "digital" or purposes of dedicated circuit, power conditioning, and aftermarket power cord selection. That is unless you can shut off the digital circuitry, and prefer to use it that way for serious listening. Else the digital sections may throw "pollution" (RFI, EMI ??) back out to your AC mains. This is only really important for serious listening.
A very good question and one I have sonically experimented with as I have two pieces of equipment , A Classe SSP-60 which internally has seperate power supplies for digital and analog, and a Sim Audio Eclipse which has an external PSX Power supply where if you read the information it says in the power supply chasis it has both analog and digital circuts , Yikes ! The best Sonic results I have found are to give it its own circut . Whether it be a dedicated line, or If you have a quality PLC that has a isolated circut all its own.
Saki70,

A component is "digital" or "analog" depending upon what type
of signals it handles.

A run of the mill "preamp" with analog signal in, and analog
signal out is definitely "analog".

A DAC with digial in and analog out - is "digital"

A pre/pro has components and functions of both - it has a DAC
so it is "digital", but it also may take in an analog
signal and output analog - which would make it "analog".

However, "digital" and "analog" are just labels - who cares
if a component is "digital" or "analog"?

A "DAC" is a "DAC", a "preamp" is a "preamp" - I think we
all understand what each does - so there's no real utility
in labeling them as "digital" or "analog".

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Also note a Horse is a Horse of course of course unless of course , that Horse of course, is the famours Mr. Ed.

Wilbur says keep digital on seperate lines from power amps.