How good is the midrange in the DK Design VS-1Mk2?

Hi,

I am an avid new age listener, and listen to the likes of Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, and Tangerine Dream to name a few, and I was wondering how you would compare the DK Design Group VS-1 Mk. 2 Integrated Amp midrange to a good tube amp midrange? Which do you think is better and why? I have a rebuilt and retrofited Dynaco 70 by Will Vincent of Auto Specialty in Idaho, and it has a very detailed and transparent midrange, and I love it. Matching components include the Eastern Electric Minimax CD player with mullard tubes, Sonic Euphoria preamp, and I have a pair of the Morel 403.5 speakers to complete this nice little system. However, I am planning on running the DK Design VS-1 MK2 with Tyler Acoustic Super Towers in my living room. Thanks much for your help.

Best,

Joe
jmorey
Hey guys, I just got the VS-1 Mk. 2 and it sounds awesome. Can someone give me some tips on replacing the tubes? How do the cages come off? Do they just pop-off or do you have to screw them off? I am a little scared to damage the circuit board if I just pull them off. Any tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Boa2,

I got my DK VS-1 Mk.2 at it sounds absolutely incredible on B&W Nautilus 802 speakers. However, I do not recommend using this amp with horn speakers. I tried it with a pair of Edgarhorns and I discovered that at very low volume levels the left channel becomes slightly louder then the right channel. This is going to be an issue with horns since you will always be running the amp at extremely low volumes. Only when you turn up the volume the two channels even out and the soundstage comes back to the center. Even though I love the way it sounded with Edgarhorns at high volume it will not be good at lower listening levels.
Zrespin,

Thank you so much for the info. I had my doubts about mating this amp with horns, but I just wasn't sure. However, with my wife's Silverline Sonata II's, we could be boarding the train to audio nirvana.

Gotta go make some dough...

All the best,
Howard