Anyone else feel left out?

'Gons talk a lot about equipment (new or used) that is way beyond the financial means of most people. Thousands of dollars for a Dac? Ten thousand for a pair of mono blocks?
The pros and cons of 15k a pair speakers? Cabling that costs as much as college tuition? How about a system where the cd player is no more than $500, pre and power amp no more than $500 each, speakers no more than $1k a pair and cabling no more than $10 a foot. Jazz and classical music will be enjoyed. This would be a system that would still be superior to most home systems, but would be within the reach of a wider range of music fans. What are your recommendations for a system of new equipment, used equipment or a mix of both?
jw94055
Many of us purchase equipment that is, strictly speaking, beyond our means. But if you pay a fair used price for a piece that is likely to hold it's value, your ultimate cost may be quite low. For example, I paid $1800 for my ($3000 retail) Cary SLI-80 used several years ago, and could probably still get $1600 for it. I did spend $100 on EL34 output tubes, just for fun. On the other hand I paid $2700 for used Silverline Sonatina II speakers ($4500 new retail), which I love, but now could probably get only $1800. But since I feel these are "long term keepers", my real expense IS the $2700! The Cary will probably stay as my primary all-tube source for a long time unless I go SET. But my friends know I've said that kind of thing before....

So it does depend on how you look at it: is your cost the money you spend, or, is it the combination of the depreciation hit you take while owning it, plus opportunity cost of capital, plus any transaction risk.

Digital depreciates much faster due to technology improvements. $10,000 for a DAC that will be worth $500 in three years? Ouch!

Art
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations and reactions. Every field of interest has participants that are willing to invest heavily in the quest for the best. Still and all, the inital investment in even a middle fi system can be daunting to non-hifi types. I already have a fine system (Oskar Heil Aulos speakers, KEF drivers in a custom made subwoofer, custom made 12au7 based pre-amp, G.A.S. Son of Ampzilla power amp, H/K FL 8400 C.D. player with a Scott Nixon DAC, Rat Shack interconnects, Monster Cable speaker cable, Kef 104abs for out of phase signal rear speakers). My first system costs $450 in 1971 (Pioneer 626 receiver, Dual turntable, Electro-Voice speakers). Changing technology, income and taste have brought about system changes for the past 34 years. It is safe assumption that this will continue. It is also safe to assume I will never have Krell mono blocks.
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations and reactions. Every field of interest has participants that are willing to invest heavily in the quest for the best. Still and all, the inital investment in even a middle fi system can be daunting to non-hifi types. I already have a fine system (Oskar Heil Aulos speakers, KEF drivers in a custom made subwoofer, custom made 12au7 based pre-amp, G.A.S. Son of Ampzilla power amp, H/K FL 8400 C.D. player with a Scott Nixon DAC, Rat Shack interconnects, Monster Cable speaker cable, Kef 104abs for out of phase signal rear speakers). My first system costs $450 in 1971 (Pioneer 626 receiver, Dual turntable, Electro-Voice speakers). Changing technology, income and taste have brought about system changes for the past 34 years. It is a safe assumption that this will continue. It is also safe to assume I will never have Krell mono blocks.