Tube amp with Vienna Acoustics Beethovens?

Hey Everybody,

I currently runn VA Beethovens with a McCormack DNA 125 amp and VTL TL 5.5 preamp with a Rega Planet CDP. I was wondering if anybody is running a tube amp with the Beethovens. I was wanting to give a tube amp a try but only have about $2000.00 to spend. I prefer to buy used. Any suggestions? I live in an a condo so I can't really turn up the sound too much so high SPLs are not a priority. I listen to rock, bluegrass and I am just getting into classical.
Thanks,
Jim
desmondjim
desmond,
i used to own the beethovens and it mate it with the kr audio vt 850 with only 22w..the kr have no problem with driving it at all and also mate it with the BAT vk-60..within your budget i would definitely pursue the BAT.
Hey Everybody,

I just received a used VTL ST150 and I am evaluating it right now. My first impressions are generally good. The bass is very good, tight fast and full bodied. This is a definite improvement over the ST 85 that I tried. The midrange doesn't have the same lush bloom that the ST85 did. I guess this is a function of using 6550 instead of el34 power tubes. This being said the midrange is still real pleasing. The high end was a little harsh at first, kind of bright, female vocals had a lot of sibilence. But this seems to be calming down now. I ordered some Mullard CV4024 to change out the input 12AT7s. The ones in there are of unknown origin. I'll post back in a few days after listening over the weekend. As of now I think this is a keeper.
Playing around with rectifier and driver tubes (especially rectifiers) can change the sound. Worked near wonders with my Air Tight.
OK,
Mullard to the rescue. The CV4024 are a huge improvement over whatever the 12AT7s were that came with the amp. The harsh highs are gone and have been replaced with sweet and extended highs. The high end is the biggest suprise for me with this amp. Much more detailed and extended that I thought tubes would do. I am enjoying a Mississippi John Hurt recording right now in triode mode. Very relaxed and open. Nice airy presentation with a sound stage that goes deep behind the speakers. The sound stage is not as wide as the McCormack DNA 125 but I think that is what the McCormack does better than most amps I have heard.
The width of the soundstage is about the only area that the McCormack is better than the ST 150. Don't get me wrong I really like the DNA 125 and would recomend it to anyone looking for a good reasonably priced amp. I am keeping it, just moving it to the bedroom were it will replace an Acurus A250. The ST 150 is staying in the big system for a long time.
Jim