Tube Preamp for Dreadnaught & Aerials

What to you suggest? I'm looking for a tube preamp that can be operated by remote and has a HT bypass for a Theta Dread 1/Aerial 10T setup. Budget: $1500-$2500. I'd like to try tubes but a SS with a bit of warmth in the mid range would be okay, too.

Thanks,
jas
Jas -

I would suggest if you listen to music at anything close to ref levels avoid tubes on the 10Ts. They require alot of juice to come alive. Don't get me wrong, I have tried some small tubes on the 10Ts with fine results at moderate levels, but they poop out as they go up. The Conrad Johnson Premier 8A's were the only amp I had good results from, but those, as a BARGAIN could be had for about $6K on the used market.

Try something like the McCormack DNA-225 amp. It is one of few in the $1,500 to $2,000 range that I felt were a good match. Again, this type of question is so VERY subjective and I am just giving you the experience I had, which could vary drastically from your results.

My other suggestion (which is would be my first choice in the sub $2,700 range is the Plinius 250. There is one posted now for about $2,500 with a minor scratch, but it seriously competes with the likes of Krell and Levinson, but with service in New Zealand, repairs, should they become necessary might add up!

That is my $0.02 worth.

Dan
Dan- I think he was looking for a tube preamp recommendation, not an amplifier... that being said, based on the original question, I would suggest Sonic Frontiers Line 3- fits all the parameters...