Which Solid State Amplifier is Making you Happy?

I'm trying to find a new amplifier to replace a Musical Fidelity A3CR. There are lots of candidates: Rowland 501s, Pass Labs 350.5, Levinson 431/432, H2O, etc. What are people using and what has been a good sonic investment? I'm currently driving B&W N803s, so it's a pretty normal load. My MF amp does not offer enough punch or bass control. It flattens out at higher volumes. I'll spend what it takes, new or used. Less than $8K would be nice. All comments welcome.
Peter
pscialli
Danielk,
That's a fair question. No. The room is on a dedicated circuit, but the audio system shares through a modest Monster line conditioner, the $400 one. I've made some overall improvements to the system by upgrading power cords, adding the line conditioner, upgrading cables, etc, but the deficiency I'm experiencing sounds to me a while lot like the amp is running out of steam. It's a 1999 vintage Musical Fidelity Amp which is rated at 120 watts. Within a year, I may even build up enough diplomacy points with my wife so that I can do some moderate construction to create a much better "audio" room. That room will certainly have the requisit AC power specs.
My preamp, btw is an Audio Research SP16 which may also be a weakish link in the chain; although, not awful by any stretch.

Peter
McCormack DNA-500, definitely. Others considered were the Pass .5 series, Sim W-6 or W-10, Belles 150A Reference monos, and Krell cx models.
McCormack DNA-500.

Outside of the VAC Phi 220 mono amps, most complete and balanced sounding amp I have had the pleasure of owning or spending time with.

It has tremedous bass, a nice musical and detailed midrange, with an extended treble.

Really gets the toes tapping and is very engaging.

On top of all that, it can drive anything and sounds effortless doing it.

George
My current favorite SS amp is the Hovland Radia driving W/P 7s but I do not think it would improve the dynamics of the system you describe. I think the weak link is your power conditioner. Highly (or poorly) conditioned AC power can render electronics voiced on "average" RF-hash-tainted power somewhat neutered. Try plugging your amp and/or preamp directly into the dedicated line. Or buy a more neutral conditioner. Or any of the amps suggested above. Maybe a new preamp or different cables or power cords. Rethink the speakers. Try to hold on to your wife.