Moving to separates

Finally willing to make the jump to separates.

Live in apartment setting: have managed to sell off most of my "consumer electronics" to fund purchases of first separates equipment.

Have been attentively reading this site's postings for some time. While I am not ready to jump into the high-end side of the pool, are any of you able to recommend some reasonably priced separates to consider first? I realize that they won't be, and shouldn't be "cheap", though I am admittedly not yet willing to take the plunge on extraordinarily high priced goods.

I haven't yet bought speakers; I'm currently auditioning several pairs.

Thanks so much for your help in starting me off with a list to use while traveling about, listening!
ivyinvestor
Nice to see you back Tom/Tpsonic. Adcom is as good of a place as any for you to start, Ivyinvestor. Lots of us started with Adcom. i started with Audio Alchemy, which is abotu the same thing, but just a tad more lush sounding (and a bit more unreliable). rotel, parasound also make separates in the same price range, and should hold their values well at resale time. A little farther up the food chain is Bryston, McCormack (SMc audio), and Odyssey. Klaus sells the Odyssey stuff direct, so the prices are reasonable, but still higher than used Adcom separates.

You can look at the used prices of the above brands and seel what you are comfortable spending. $250 for a preamp (without phonostage) and $500-650 for a power amp (1200-1600 retail) would be a nice place to start at. You can spend more if you like, but that will give you a taste of what decent gear can do. you can also spend less, but you'll have to shop very carefully. It's a lot harder to find a decent $200 amp, for example.
You might aim a little higher. A Classe 35 preamp now advertised for $450 is a great bargain on which to build a very nice system. Balanced I/O too, for future compatibilty/upgrades. Or maybe the CAP 80 for $700, and no interconnect required. It might make sense to take the 2nd step first. Just my .02, good luck in your quest.
You don't necessarily need separates.

For tubes, you could get, say, a self biasing Primaluna integrated. It now comes with a mm phono board option ($160). Or a Cayin.