Subtlety ? do any American amps do it?

Not heard that many but it strikes me that everything from the colonies sounds a bit stark and bleached. Spent a year trying to come to terms with a Pass Labs which is vastly overated ( and I mean vastly), listened a lot
to Mark Levinson and thought Thank God I did not spend a fortune on that - clean, clear, hifi and so bereft of soul that it was like a visit to the Dentist !
I'm not that biased, it's taken Naim years to make something resembling music - PRAT ? until recently bunch of narrow minded PRATS.I know lots of Naim fans and their mindset belongs to the third reich !
UK companies like Meridian and Musical Fidelity have managed to do the bizz for at least 30 years that I've known/used and they still manage to make a noise that at least resembles real music. MF get tarred with a do it cheap brush but anyone who has heard their gear and says it's crap is probably a dealer who wants to sell you something at 3/4x the price.
The Brazilians do it a treat - Heard Audiopax 88s at the last Edinburgh show and if anyone there had ears, they should have packed up and went home - different league does not describe it.
Realise this is antagonistic but want some input.
Even the UK press seems blinkered to the crap - Pass, Krell
- whoah, nice hifi, shame there's nothing remotely musical involved, apart from the laughter as they take our hard earned money !

I have a Quicksilver phonostage - lovely and a great customer focused company, had a Lancelot Camelot, super and amazingly friendly & helpful people but go to the Big boys and it's just a money grabbing frenzy ?
I dreamed of a Pass Labs for years and ? my next amp will be coming from somewhere in Europe !

Si
simon74
Boy, I guess all of us fools in 'the colonies' should just throw away all the things we like, and follow you so we can actually have good gear instead of the junk we thought we liked. While you're at it, can you tell us what car, clothes, and appliances to buy. If I send a picture and a few details about my wife, can you let me know if I should stay married to her or dump her for a Euro version???
My experience is not as broad as I would like, but I will say as a Yank I have easily preferred the SS U.K. electronics I've heard to the U.S. equivalents, which as you point out are often much more expensive. Levinson in particular I just don't get. Krell I need more experience with, but I haven't been impressed so far.

But in U.K. gear I wouldn't pick Musical Fidelity as my standard bearer, even on a price/ performance basis. Naim may be a somewhat better bet, but to my ears entry level Linn or AVI gear is still much better for little or no more money. As an aside, as much or more than the amps, I particularly love U.K. source components.

My experience with speakers, however, is another matter entirely. In this arena, I believe it is B & W that is over rated. And although I like the company generally, Linn speakers as a group are most unimpressive. I did own a pair of KEF's a number of years ago that weren't bad for the price, but nothing to get too excited about.
Looked at your system & think you should treat the room, as it looks pretty hard. An audio bud has Audio Physic & they took awhile to place, so maybe try repositioning? Didn't look to see if you've done anything with the AC or not but it can be blamed for other ills in the system.

I've heard a lot of good things about the newest version of the Pass amps, which have the .5 designation. Most of my listening has been with the Aleph series, so can't comment on what you have.

BAT, Ayre, McCormack & Manley are just a few amps made in the USA that come to mind that sound excellent.
Your version of Subtlety as you generally slam people's choices within the context of your post makes me wonder what sound you like---Finger nails and chalkboard??? (Hum,I wonder what wires go with that??) I know it has been arond 230 years__You still pissed about loosing that war???--Sounds like it. Is that Subtle enough??