Upgrade time way past : Amp/Pre or Int for $1000

I have been an impoverished student for the past decade. Nonetheless, during that time I tried to build a good sounding system. My primary route of acquisition was through gifts (see below) and places like Audiogon or local audio resellers. Always, my goal was to buy the best possible product I could purchase for the money that I had saved (sort of the "best athlete available" on draft day).

Unfortunately, the amount of money saved was typically not very much. Also, I purchased some products (read the sub) to fix a problem (read poor bass output) that likely was not a fault of my speakers (read not enough power from the HK 3550). This has resulted in what may be an overall motley "system", which is as follows:

KEF Reference One speakers
HK 3550 integrated amp/pre/receiver (a gift)
MSB Link DAC I modded by Modwright
Marantz DR700 or Pioneer DV656A as transport (a gift)
Paradigm PW-2200 Subwoofer
cables from Modwright in trade

In all, I spent $1500 on the above, specifically for the speakers, DAC, sub, and cables. Given that the KEFs went for $2000 when I got them, I feel I did OK.

Still, I need to get a better amplification set-up, especially in light of the fact that I really like the KEFs and they require more power than I currently have. Given that I have decided to choose lifestyle over earnings, I am resigned to never being able to make that leap to truly expensive audio equipment. Even so, I should be able to get a nice amp/pre match or integrated for between $1000 and $1500 (likely used), right?

So, the question:

What would be a good amp/preamp combo or integrated amp for the $1000-1500 price range that provides enough power for the KEFs?

Suggestions? Help? Criticism on the length of my post?

Seriously, thanks for any responses.
mbwd
His TAD-1000 mono block amps and his TAD-150 preamp are not Cayin. They have been getting VERY good reviews. There are some pretty good reviews of those items here on Audiogon.

I really like mine.

Jeff
I currently have Arcam A65+ (40 wpc +) - you can get used for less than $400. They are extremely musical - a bit rolled off on top and bottom and are warm, not too detailed. For the price - they are very well balanced. My dealer prefers the sound of Arcam A65+ over its bigger brothers in the diva range A80 and A90 (2-3x more expensive).

I have a TAD-30 integrated from 2baudio.com. Clearly a step up from Arcam in terms of detail, amazingly open top end, nice mid-range, there is plenty of bottom end but is a bit loose - not tight.

I have TAD-60 on order - is actually a TAD-150 Pre-amp and TAD-60 Stereo Power amp. You can tube roll - EL34, 6550, KT88 etc. for changing the tonality and character - tighter bass etc. You may want to consider pre-ordering it - the prices will go up after the pre-order period. For extra $238 - you can get signature version (can be sent in future). Don't forget the power cables for a rediculous price. Paul is a nice guy - talk to him.

Then there is Eastern Electric M520 Integrated retails for $1800 - call Bill for a deal - if he has a B Stock or open box. http://www.morningstaraudio.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=7
This one looks stunning and people say it is all about tone.

For a killer price AV123.com is practically giving away speakers for free
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=33.1

SP3 Integrated Amplifier + Reference 1 Monitor Combo
for $1000

They have Onix H34 B stock which will go for $800 - no remote and put many multi thousand amps to shame. Talk to them - they are nice people and you have 30 day in home trial. You can even get mutiple products for home trial and just send back what you don't like within 30 days - all you pay for is shipping both ways. great reviews on 6moons.com

AV123.com have great combo deals - go through their site - talk to someone on the phone - nice people - tell them your budget or lack of and your sonic needs.

Example, they have Onix XCD-88 CD Player - which is sonically same as the Music Hall CD player (both made in China by Shanling) but at half the price - if you buy other equipment. With their in home risk free trial - one have nothing to lose (except for shipping) and get a chance to try different components in your home/system.

Good Luck.
The TAD-60 is out of stock, and might be out of production. M might keep a lookout for a used one.
If you are really counting your pennies try the
new Onkyo A9555 integrated for $500-$550.
I've got one for a small remote system and it's pretty impressive--little grunge, good definition, natural bass,
no strange artifacts in any part of the spectrum.
Nice look+feel, too. (Needs bare wire speaker cable connections, though.) There's another thread about it here from around a month ago. Spend what you save on speakers
and decent digital.