DK Design VS- Reference vs Signature

Have any of you compared the sound of the standard VS-1 integrated by DK Design to the sound of the recent "signature" model? I am very curious to learn DETAILS of how they compare.

Please only respond if you have performed such a comparison. Please be specific in your response.

Thank you.
Art
artmaltman
Get the pinched waste amperex if you can find them. The Mullard CV2492 is also an awesome choice.
Dabarrie,
I switched the stock tubes in my first MK II, to the Telefunken. That is a good tube, but somewhat lean in the bass for my taste. (Let's face it--tubes allow us to revoice the system, allowing for speaker differentials). For example, a THIEL owner would most likely have a different tube in mind than a Vandersteen owner.
The Telefunkens I used when I had the Sound Lab A-1's, again were good, but not as musical as the Amperex ECC88/6DJ8, circa 8/1962, New Old Stock, and probably about $250.per pair. (Jim Dillon who works for Toys from the Attic, one GREAT STORE) sent me a pair as a wonderful surprise gift! They are really magic--nice sweet musical bass, space within space, great vocal presence, really nice tubes. Hard to find probably, but, again terrific.
We are breaking in an amplifier for an upcomming review,(at the reviewer's request), and he further asked for a second set of tubes, for comparison's sake. So this week end, Shari at the office, asked me to try the Siemens, of course ECC88/6DJ8, (she estimated that they were from the 1970's) priced at $110. MSRP. I am not impressed yet.
Everything sounds congested, with less space rendered. The bass doesn't go as deep as with the Amperex, and the midbass is disproportionately loud. Sounds strange, but that's what it's doing.
This is all on my LSA2's, (Standard, not Signature Speakers), which have output at 10Hz (down 14db but not cut off). The bass is peculiar sounding, again too loud in the mid bass, but less deep bass.
Overall, I would say that, if you can get the Amperex, you'll love them, (if your speakers are fairly neutral). Again, this can be thought of as a voicing tool, with everyone having a somewhat different 'flavor' in mind.
If you would like more info, call me 888 671 8607--I'll be glad to discuss your whole system.One other note--in Las Vegas, we switched to the Electroharmonix which cost about $10. or so a pair, MSRP. They are pretty good for that money--respectable midrange, no zing on the top (at least with our LSASE Amp, and it's active loads).
Tube 'sound' has to be weighed against the circuit it's in as well as the speakers--the whole system. So again, if you want to discuss, just call me--it's probably worth while.
Thanks,
Thanks... Do they sound better than the Seimens cc88/2262. I have read plenty reviews on these. Are the amperex and mullard better than the seimens?
Dabarrie,
The Amperex allow my system to sound very organic. This is system specific though. As I mentioned, tubes will be viewed differently by listeners experiencing various interconnets, sources, cables, and most certainly loudspeakers.
To me, the most exciting aspect of tubes varying presentations, is that, depending on choice, some may be able to 'tame' one loudspeaker while another could even liven up another which may be too polite--therefore a potentially great 'tuning aid' for one's system.
Again, I prefer the Amperex for my system, even though they're somewhat expensive.
Good luck.
Best,
Larry R. Staples
LSA Group
President/Designer
01-22-06: Lrsky
Amperex ECC88/6DJ8, circa 8/1962, New Old Stock, and probably about $250.per pair.
Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy from the early 1960s can be found any given week on E-Bay for around $50/pair. Amperex Orange Globe "O" Getter tubes made in Holland from the same era will run about $65/pair, and Amperex 6922 PQ USA white label will cost between $100-$150/pair, and sometimes less.

I have purchased three matched pairs of Amperex 6922 PQ USA white label tubes in the past year for $80/pair, and they all tested better than new.

It's not clear which Amperex 6DJ8 tubes Lrsky is referring to in his earlier post, but paying $250/pair is unecessary.