Ok ML CLS and SET amp owners - interesting ?

I own Wright 3.5 SET tube monoblock amps. They put out 4 watts and up to 8 peak. I love the way they sound. I want to try some Martin Logan CLS and while it seems crazy to think they both could work together I ask this question.

The CLS's are 86 db effecient and have a 4 ohm nominal impedience. They drop down to as low 1.5 - 2 ohms. OK, no way my Wright would work as it, but what if I purchased the Paul Speltz Zero Autoformers. I understand it raises the speaker impedience the amps see up to 2X, 3X or 4X.

How does increasing the CLS's from their nominal 2-4 ohms to 8-16 ohms increase the functional effeciency of the speaker? Does this even ring true?

Would my wonderful Wright amps then "work" well with the CLS's. Think this would be a match made in heaven if possible.

Grannyring
128x128grannyring
running a powered sub and using the active crossover and only sending the mids/highs to the CLS will certainly help the little amp to power them better.

or try a pair of VTL MB450 amps...they will do the trick!
Bill,
Definitely speak with douglikesaudio. He's a wonderful person, with a refreshingly open mind when it comes to audio.

After several trial configurations, he actually ended up bi-amping his ML's, with a SS amp on the bottom & the Audio Note SET on the top. Ask him his opinion about the sound. When compared with the mids & highs of the Cain & Cain, I thought the ML's sounded like they were being smothered by a pillow. Soft, pleasant, yet distant & less engaging. No, this is not a categorical dissing of ML's . In fact, Btstrg's system is yet a world apart from what you're talking about with the Wright/CLS combination. Give it a go. Nothing more nagging then wondering "What if...?"
I'd love to hear your impressions.
Regards,
Howard
I decided to just enjoy my IM Ben's and not play with other gear. I will buy more music instead.