JRDG Concerto + Amphion Xenon

I've got Amphion Xenon speakers and Meridian 508.24 cd player. I'm going to replace my McIntosh 6850 and siriousely thinking about JRDG Concerto.

What do you thing of my choice? Any other suggestions?
krzycho
Hi, Neville:

I'm not using the onboard phono stage, nor have I heard any feedback from anyone who is using it, so I'm afraid I can't help on that front. I've always felt that, if you're looking for absolute performance in analog playback, the best way to go is a premium outboard phono stage--but I'm sure that, if the rest of the Concerto is any indication, the built-in phono stage is pretty nice.

As far as comparing the Concerto to the DarTZeel, it's like comparing apples and oranges. The Dart is a dedicated amplifier, not an integrated. It also costs A LOT more--18k to be exact! That said, if you have the cash and have any interest in staying with separates, the Dart should be at the very top of your list of amplifiers--provided that your speakers aren't an insanely tough load.

Unlike most integrateds, I don't think you're giving up a lot versus separates with the Concerto. I've heard a number of people say that it compares very favorably with the Rowland separates--which is saying something. You might give up a little power, refinement, and resolution, but I highly doubt that it's going to be a night-and-day difference. If you're set on downsizing, I can't think of a better integrated to do it with. You might also want to audition the Musical Fidelity KW500--it has twice the power, but I don't think is as quiet or revealing as the Rowland. It's definitely a very worthy contender, though.

I sincerely hope this helps in your quest. Maybe some other Audiogoners have other suggestions that I may have missed, but I think the Concerto is in the top tier of integrateds and deserving of a serious audition.

All the best,

Andy
Andy,

Many, many thanks for the advise. I'll check out the Rowland Concerto as soon as I get a chance. As much as I'd like to stay with separates, I will not have a dedicated music room for too much longer so my stereo equipment is going to have to blend into and become one with the rest of the living room.

I wish you all the very best in your audio oddesy - you have some spectacular equipment and must be in audio nirvana.

All the best,
Neville
have you already listened to this JRDG? im thinking about upgrading my amplification, and jrdg201 is one of the most probable options im considering....
there is one more option, if your budget permits - MBL7008, it would be about 1k more, but many say it's worth it. supposed to much more fluid, musical