Beginners Pre-amp

I'm in midst of changing things in my system and the next thing I want to try is a tubed pre-amp. I do plan to change my speakers to Paradigm S4 and would like to know which pre-amps would work. As for music it varies from Jazz(mostly) to live theater,dance,pop, etc...

My budget is at most 2500.00 new or used. I figured at that price point I can come away with something that I can live with for awhile and totally outclass the Pre-amp section of my receiver.

At that price point new I can come away with a BC21.1 as it allows me the options of the Shallco and a processor loop.

My questions are: What do the members here think of the BC?Will it work in my system. Is it a quite unit and and does it respond well to both tube rolling and PC upgrades.

Finally are there any others I should consider besides the VTL2.5/5.5. I know there's more but I drawing a blank.

Cheers
freakygreek
I do not know if I can contribute more than confirm what has already been said. IMO the best value for money and sound right now is the Modwright 9.0SE. I spent a lot of time with the beta unit and compared the production unit to other active and passive preamps in the $2500-5500 price range (CJ, BC, BAT, SF and Herron on the active side; Placette and Channel Island on the passive side). The Herron was lovely but the Modwright may have been better....in my system. Go with the Modwright and then work on a new front end. The stock tubes are very good and retubing costs nothing.
for 2500 used - A Sonic Frontiers line-3se. Totally neutral, killer soundstage and a ton of features
supratek preamp. There is a Syrah available now on Audiogon. Wonderful preamp.
If you are patient, a brand new Supratek will be the best audio decision of your life.
There's a beta version of the Modwright SWL9.0 up for auction right now. Consider contacting Dan Wright to ask him about this unit. It might be the best preamp value available right now.