Cowboy Junkie Fans

If you don't have it get "Waltz Across America" 1999-2000 live. I just found it - an import from Canada on their Lucent record label - it is excellent! Excellent sonics also.
pops
I have been hooked from their early days. If you don't care for The Trinity Sessions, listen to Lay It Down. An excellent album, it is very different from their first. I do find their most recent album to be lacking inpiration, kind of as though they wrote it in a weekend. But every other album has some real gems. For what they do, they are one of the best bands of our time.
You either get it or you don't. Same for P. Barber. Personally, I think there are very few (none?) that do it better. Those who love them know what I mean.

-Ed
Hi Scott-- a fair question, but in response, I have to say that I don't care for jazz at all and have no explanation for that-- yet I know you're a big jazz fan? I guess we're wired differently.

First of all, there is no accounting for taste(s). That said, I find Margo Timmin's voice at once haunting and intimate on many of their (especially) ballads. Of the other band members, Michael Timmins, guitarist and writer is of near genius caliber, IMO. His "chops" are unusual but great in his unique way.

I have been a fan of Junkies music for years, but when I first heard them I wasn't, so Tim's right-- their music grows on some-- it certainly did me. Also I find it fascinating that it is not possible to readily classify or pigeon-hole their music. I mean what kind of music is it? folk? pop? country? blues? Well IMO, It's none of those yet it has elements of all of them and some others too. And their band work can be incredible-- one guy, not a Timmins-- plays something like 5 different instruments.

I can wrap myself up in the music of "The Trinity Session" and "The Caution Horses" , and relax in it too. Also, I find the lyrics on many of the songs inviting and with much truth about everyday events and truths-- and if that makes it boring, well, it's not too me. I could write a lot more about the Cowboy Junkies music but that's pretty much the essence of my interest. I think Dekay's observations fit for me too-- at least as I understand them. Cheers. Craig
Scott,

I have to concur with something Garfish said:

"I find Margo Timmin's voice at once haunting and intimate on many of their (especially) ballads."

That's it for me, nothing more. It just hits some people right where they need it.

-mm
Thanks, guys, for the thoughtful and considered responses. I fully understand how some artists and certain performances can really "grab" you, while others don't. Given that music involves an emotional response, I guess that's to be expected. Thanks for taking the time to share your points of view -- maybe I should take the time to listen to some of the other recordings by the Junkies.

Best to everyone - Scott C.