Cowboy Junkies

Heard of them for years. Finally, today, just finished listening to the Trinity Sessions cd. I'm freakin out. Can't believe these guys. Do they get better than this? This is an early album, obviously. Their first? Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance. peace,
warren
128x128warrenh
Whites Off Earth Now is their second best disc in my opinion with Trinity Sessions being their (considerable) best, I do not like the rest of their stuff much, but really like these two. Whites Off Earth Now is more bluesy like Chams uk notes and a little rough aroung the edges and it focuses more on guitar with an edge, a little like early Fleetwood Mac from the 60s.

I often like the first few efforts of a group when their ideas are freshest or something along that line. I just thought these guys got boring in the later albums.
In my book, "Pale Sun, Crescent Moon" is another one that should not be missed. It rocks more than the "Trinity Session" (electric guitars) but it also includes some nice ballads. The sound quality is also good. Many members seem to like "The Caution Horses". I respect their choice but IMO it is a bit unequal and the last half of the album is not as strong as the first one. It's a matter of taste. Check the AMG (www.allmusic.com) for further info on their albums.
I'm a little embarassed by it but its true; I first heard Margo Timmons and her crew while watching Miami Vice...MisGuided Angel I believe, and owned the cd the next day. Miami Vice was cool back in the day...wasn't it? :/
chronological order:
whites off earth now 1986
the trinity sessions 1988*
the caution horses 1990*
black eyed man 1992*
pale sun crescent moon 1993
lay it down 1996*
miles from our home 1998
open 2001

plus:
200 more miles 1995* (double live album, good)
waltz across america 2000 (live album, also good)
the radio one sessions 2002 (bbc studio compilation, also pretty good)
rarities, b-sides and slow, sad waltzes ? (i think this came direct from their website)

* my top five

This is from my collection. Did I miss anything?
Karls; glad to meet another big Junkies fan-- and nice list. There are 3 others that I have:
* "Studio" Selected recordings 1986-1995. 1996. A nice compilation.
* "Best of Cowboy Junkies". Released by RCA against the Cowboy Junkies wishes. 2001. I felt sort of guilty buying this one, but it is a good compilation.
* "Open Road". This CD was released along with a DVD video and is a recent set of live recordings-- both the CD and DVD are good. Open Road is probably only available from the Junkies web site www.cowboyjunkies.com, or www.maplemusic.com.

To those who casually put the Junkies music in the pop category, I respectfully disagree. In fact, I've never been able to classify their style. To me, it has elements of folk, rock, pop, blues, and country, and it's one of the reasons their music is so fascinating to me. Cheers. Craig