Who's Your Favorite Bass Players; Why?

I like Paul Chambers for his groove and arco. Sam Jones for his Time. Rufus Reid becaues he taught me. Jaco because of the absolute passion. Christian McBride because he's the MAN righ now--and he's the director of the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific, which is my Alma Mater; Ron Carter because of everything he's recorded; George Maraz because of his soul; Richard Davis because of his intensiity; Reggie Workman due to his authenticity; Lonnie Plaxico because of his work with he Jazz Messengers; Scott LaFaro--BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST! (Eddie Gomez and Chuck Isreal are cool, too!). Who're you 'un?
crazy4blues
I'm SHOCKED only two people mentioned Les Claypool, as good as Flea is (and he is great) I don't think he can touch what Les Claypool has accomplished with the bass during the 90's. Perhaps not the best recording "quality wise" but if your interested in bass performance pickup "tales from the punchbowl" circa 95'.
Benny Rietveld -- currently w/Carlos Santana -- is capable of extremely effective bass playing. Plus, he just looks like a bada** playing. Some of you Miles fans might know of some of Rietveld's work w/him many years ago.
also what about anthony jackson...the MAN who laid down the grooves for countless others...especially Herbie Hancock's Headhunters....I love his meaty tone
I would like to second Mejames' recommendiation of Stanley Clarke. True Fusion Jazz of the early 70's, check out School Days.
My favourites would be Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins.(i like the funky stuff).
Also i must admit I'm a bit of a fan of Victor Wooten(was amazing to see live)although he can become a little too technical at times.