Who's Your Favorite Bass Players; Why?

I like Paul Chambers for his groove and arco. Sam Jones for his Time. Rufus Reid becaues he taught me. Jaco because of the absolute passion. Christian McBride because he's the MAN righ now--and he's the director of the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific, which is my Alma Mater; Ron Carter because of everything he's recorded; George Maraz because of his soul; Richard Davis because of his intensiity; Reggie Workman due to his authenticity; Lonnie Plaxico because of his work with he Jazz Messengers; Scott LaFaro--BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST! (Eddie Gomez and Chuck Isreal are cool, too!). Who're you 'un?
crazy4blues
There's a couple of great bass players from Brazil that I like, Marcelo Maia, who reminds me of Jaco Pastorius, and Zoos Moussawer, who compares with Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. I also admire Andre Vasconcello, who plays on Phil DeGreg's album "Brasilia".
Comparing Paul M., Geddy L., Ray B., et at, isn't very useful; different genres. When I was playing in rock bands in the 60's, Jack Bruce was my favorite. He didn't sound like the others. His lines were ahead of their time. Then, in the 70's it was Chris Sqiure of Yes. Rarely did he play on the beat, though his lines were always interesting (Rick Wakeman said that he (Sqiure) couldn't play a "straight" baseline if his life depended on it!). He was the "Jack Bruce" of 70's rock. But I never heard a bassist quite like Jaco Pastorius. The alternate growling, punchy, lovely portamento of his lines were something to behold. Listen to "Portrait of Tracy"; a piece he wrote that is almost all done with harmonics (I busted a gut figuring that one out). Simply beautiful.

Steve O.
Must agree that Manring's Att. Deficit stuff is groovin' as #@^%$***!!! Unfortunately some of his other stuff hits the Kenny G gag reflex. Attention Deficit is as good as or better than any project connected w/these 3 guys. Life is short Att. Deficit never does gigs... it's a crime! Anyone who digs challenging head warping instrumental rock should be nagging the heck out of Manring, Skolnick and Alexander to get out and play or at least record some more. Same holds true for Massacre (Frith/Laswell/Hayward). Both units can crunch through the skull and sear a deep brand into the brain.
Basic choices, nothing too esoteric here. I love "The Ox", Chris Squire, Billy Wyman and one of the guys in the Fab Four. All very melodic. Lesh is really good too-very powerful lines. Berry Oakley was amazing.
Stanley Clarke- tone, skills, works (his early and RTF not his later)
Brian Bromberg- tone,skils, a little less impressed w/ works, just less my style.
Bill Laswell- tone(s), works, variety - he must have put out and been on 50 titles since 2000
Percy Jones- tone, skills ,works- but not "his" works - prefer Brand X and Nova Vimana, which is now on CD
Renaud Garcia Fons- tone , skills - only heard him on a few albums but he is unbelievable! Best bowed solo I ever heard on Nguyen Le's "Bakida" album....forget which track....

ET