Classic rock album covers

Is it illegal to make copies of album covers and sell as art? I have made some really cool wall art ( I dont know what else to call it ) and my friends always want me to do their favorite old lps for them to put in their home, listening rooms and even their offices.

Is there such a thing as free domain after a period of years? Are most of these people even alive ( remember it was mostly the 70's) or does it go back to the evil empires ...the record lables. Would this infringe on copywrite laws?

I have a 60k color printer and access to all paper stocks for a really impressive look ...

Give me some advice

Kelton
kelton
Go for it, dude!! I mean like what are like the chances that like anyone from like the 70's is even like still alive?? And as far as like copyrights and like intellectual property and stuff, well I mean like whatever!!
Some I like are:
King Crimson -Court of the Crimson King
Captain Beyond
Jackie Gleason - Lonesome Echo(Cover art by Dali)
Bolling/Rampal - Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano
Coryell/Mouzon - Back Together Again
Miles Davis - Dig
Fleetwood Mac - Mystery to Me

That's just a few off the top of my head.
My favorite cover art is by Roger Huyssen. I'm pretty certain that Twl's "Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano" is done by this artist. I have Bellson, Brown and Smith's "Intensive Care" as another example of his work. He sells his work through his website so I would think he would care. I also love Pure Prarie League covers. Just my two cents. Anyway, Twl, wanna part with the Bolling/Rampal? I'll give you a bag of dried peach seeds for it. Rel, am I lucky to have survived the 70's or what? ;)
You can't beat the Crimson King. A face some of us wear when we happen upon MTV. Another fav is "the Love Songs of A. Wilbur Meshel". A photo of a sad young man, eating a sandwich on a park bench, while a "Park Avenue" couple enjoys life in the background.