Classic rock album covers

Is it illegal to make copies of album covers and sell as art? I have made some really cool wall art ( I dont know what else to call it ) and my friends always want me to do their favorite old lps for them to put in their home, listening rooms and even their offices.

Is there such a thing as free domain after a period of years? Are most of these people even alive ( remember it was mostly the 70's) or does it go back to the evil empires ...the record lables. Would this infringe on copywrite laws?

I have a 60k color printer and access to all paper stocks for a really impressive look ...

Give me some advice

Kelton
kelton
don't know what the h**l these posts have to do with 70's rock, but THE classic rock album cover in my book is The Cars "Candy-0".
Strawberry Alarm Clock, Wake Up, It's Tomorrow!!! Great cover. Would also make a great T shirt!!

Also another vote for King Crimson "Court of the Crimson King."
Yes King Crimson gets another vote. How about Cream Disraeli Gears,Iron Buterfly Live,or Spirit The Twelve Dreams of Dr.Sardonicus? These are also classic.
In the mid seventies I saw an entire side of a barn painted as In The Court of The Crimson King. And a beautiful, detailed piece of work it was! I think it was in Maine, but then, I'm lucky to have survived the sixties!!!
Gotta love the minimalism of Zappa's "Ship Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch," which, of course, contains the anti-anthem "Valley Girl."