Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...RIP

Tomorrow, Dec 5th, is the 212 th anaversary of his death. Only 35 years old.

Another thread recently got sidelined into a stupid comparison of Beethoven vs Mozart, as if it was a zero sum game where one had to be downgraded so as to elevate the other. Tomorrow we should remember him, without question the greatest natural musical genius that ever lived. Truly Amadeus.
eldartford
As you observe, we can be grateful for Mozart's genius without dimishing in any way the accomplishments of the other great composers. There is hardly a week goes by that I do not listen to some composition by Mozart, but as I've gotten older I found myself with a greater appreciation to the people who preceeded and followed Mozart: Corelli, Vivaldi, Bach, Haydn, Handel, Beethoven, Schumann, Schubert, etc. It's sad that Mozart died so young, and that he did not receive the recognition he deserved while living -- but we are deeply fortunate to have so many wonderful recordings of his work available to us today.
It's funny, but a lot of times I'll sit down to listen to music and won't even think first about listening to Mozart, but once his music gets going in my system I don't feel a need to listen to anyone else. Pure magic, and seemingly effortless genius.

Now let's get ready for December 16th, Beethoven's birthday... ;-)
True genius indeed!

“If I see Beethoven now, I will raise and bow to show my respect. If I see Mozart now, I will be faint.” famed maestro Karl Boehm once stated.

So two weeks from now on 12/17 we should be celebrating Beethoven’s 233th anniversary of his birth. Just a suggestion.

Happy Listening.

Otto
Thanks for the reminder?

looks like I'll be watching my Amadeus DVD tomorrow night while sipping some Jagermeister.

A perfect winters evening.
The music is incredible, it is sad to think that a musical genius like Mozart was dropped into a paupers grave with countless other unknowns. I guess death is the great equalizer!