Recommendation - Complete Beethoven Sonatas

Read the mixed review of ARTUR SCHNABEL. Any more?
eldragon
Let me confuse the issue by recommending the Pollini along with the Brendel and the Goode.
I agree that the Goode set is excellent. On vinyl, I really enjoy Claudio Arrau's performances (don't know if they have been reissued on CD). Also on vinyl, I've got a few of Ivan Moravec's performances - - - sublime!
Agree with the Moravec recommendation - but he has not recorded the complete sonatas (which was the question). Nevertheless, what he has put to disc are interpretations well worth adding to any collection.
Claudio Arrau's performances were released in CD format by Philips, titled: Complete Sonatas & Concertos. It is a very subtle and lyrical reading.

On the contrary Backhaus’s performances (Decca) provide me a grand and heroic approach.

The live recording (DGG) performed by aged Rudolf Serkin in Vienna was so sacred and sublime. You almost can feel that you are in tranquil surroundings with serene notes floating in the air. But unfortunately it was captured only the last three sonatas (op. 109 – 111).

Happy Listening.

Otto
Another definite vote for Goode. I hope this cycle gets re-issued on hi-res one of these days because the sound was quite excellent.