I could use some jazz mentoring.

I'm a relative newbie to jazz. I know what I like, but I can't find anymore of it. I figure this might be a good place to ask.

Generally, I think I like the sound of bluesy, laid back jazz.

My two favorite cds are:

Wynton Marsalis - Midnight Blues (it's the 5th in a series of cds he did)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

If you've heard both of these cds, I hope you can see the commonality between them in the same way I do. To me they are both moody, introspective, and romantic albums.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm really looking forward to discovering more of a great genre.

-Esfand
dubzilla
Check out some Roy Hargrove. Two I can recommend are. "Parker's Mood", Hargrove with Christian McBride and Stephen Scott. Great cd. And "Roy Hargrove with Strings".
Albums that are heading down that same road that pop into my mind would be Gil Evans "Into the Cool" and Herbie Hancock's "Empyrean Isles."
almost anything one the ecm label[in the jazz genre]is a good choice.metheny,gustavsen,stanko,garbarek,weber,art ensemble.jazz is music where there is almost to much good to list.could make many more suggestions if interested[just my preferences remember].collecting is never ending,good luck.
In my first post, I forgot to include the recordings done by Charles Lloyd since he returned to the jazz scene in the late 1980's. While Lloyd's contemporary work may, on the surface, sound bluesy and laid back, his work is complex and very satisfying over the long run (just as Miles Davis' early recordings still retain their appeal).

The first recording that he released (recorded in July,1989), titled "Fish Out of Water" (ECM 1398), remains one of my favorites, but the following recordings are all worth having:
1. Notes from Big Sur (ECM 1465);
2. Voice in The Night (ECM 1674);
3. The Water is Wide (ECM 1734);
4. Hyperion With Higgins (ECM 1784).

Good listening to you!