First LP to keep you in genre for life

I started in jazz-rock when all my buddies were in rock. All my rocker friends thought I was nuts and called it con-fusion music. I dragged them to shows and converted quite a few. One time, I had buddy who thought Ginger Baker was the greatest (no disrespect) and I took him to see Billy Cobham. Cobham started with a short solo and halfway through it he turned to me and shook my hand. Once Jazz-Rock digressed I then quickly took on jazz as my main music of choice. It took awhile to open the ears.

Inner Mounting Flame (Jazz-Rock) - The Mahavishnu Orchestra. The interplay, spirituality, ragalike repetition and volume was otherworldly and never to be matched. In this style McLaughlin and Cobham were the masters of their genre.

A Love Supreme - Coltrane (Jazz). Why go to church when you can just play this classic? My favorite jazz is still modal with a spiritual bent.

Rock and Roll Animal - Lou Reed (Rock). Dark and angry. The guitar interplay is fantastic. I always picture myself in a subterranean, urban bar; it's 2:00 am and raining outside and everyone is as pasty as Casper; when seeing this band. I'm glad I survived.
richardmr
The first Santana record rearranged my molecules when I was nine years old. I saw the band for the first time in concert shortly thereafter, which was the most primal music experience I've ever had. A lifelong obsession with music was the result.
I still like Rock and Progressive Rock, but I found Jazz in 1974.
These were the lp's that did it for me!!!

Stanly Clarke / Stanly Clarke / 1974
Donald Byrd / Ethiopian Knights / 1972
Return to forever / Hym of the seventh Galaxy / 1973
Billy Cobham / Spectrum / 1973
Joe Farrell / Moon Germs / 1973
Deodato / Whirlwinds / 1974

Man, these are all great lp's! Stanly Clarke and Billy Cobham are still in regular rotation on my turntable.

As a matter of fact 6 months back I bought off ebay a first Japanese press of Billy Cobham / Spectrum

Peace
Ron
The first 3 LP's I purchased were The Beatle's Rubber Soul, Herman's Hermits Greatest Hits and The Kinks You Really Got Me. That was at about 1965-6 when I was 11. I listened in our Chicago basement on my folks console. I also listened to WLS. For some reason I remember shoveling the driveway, with my transistor radio in my coat pocket, and listening to Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour. It's funny what pops up in those brain synapsis's.
A few that cracked things open/made a light bulb go on, (can't pin down what came first):

The Who- Live At Leeds
Mahavisnu Orch.- Inner Mounting Flame
Capt. Beefheart- Trout Mask Replica
King Crimson- Larks Tongues In Aspic
Can- Future Days
Ornette Coleman- Art Of Improvisers
Edgard Varese- Deserts
Herbie Hancock- Sextant