Great female voices

I've always been fascinated by wonderful female voices (who isn't?) and have come across a couple recently that I want to share.

Rhiannon Giddens' solo album "Tomorrow is My Turn", produced by T-Bone Burnett, is an extraordinary recording of one of the great voices I've heard in many years, with a vocal and stylistic range that I've seldom heard from any other singer, ever.

And the Portuguese Fado singer Ana Moura has an amazingly beguiling voice. Try her album "Desfado" which has a version of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" that rivals the original.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsfar
Bdp24 - Absolutely agree with you about Buddy and Julie Miller, I've been a long-time fan. I went to what I thought was an Emmylou Harris concert in Seattle that turned out to be a Buddy and Julie Miller concert with Emmylou as lead singer.

I think I have all their music and one of their latest, "Written in Chalk" is a wonderful introduction to them and to her voice.

As you said, her voice isn't for everyone, it probably is easier to appreciate if you had early exposure to white/Appalachian/gospel but it's great music, regardless of where you grew up.
Thanks for the reminder Jdoris. I have a Shannon McNally CD I haven't gotten to yet (I have thousands---literally---of CD's I have yet to hear). Now all I need to do is find it!
Sfar, after reading your post, I took a chance and bought Tomorrow is My Turn, and I'm glad I did. She has a wonderful voice, the music selection is fine, and the disc is well recorded. Thanks!