Great female voices

I've always been fascinated by wonderful female voices (who isn't?) and have come across a couple recently that I want to share.

Rhiannon Giddens' solo album "Tomorrow is My Turn", produced by T-Bone Burnett, is an extraordinary recording of one of the great voices I've heard in many years, with a vocal and stylistic range that I've seldom heard from any other singer, ever.

And the Portuguese Fado singer Ana Moura has an amazingly beguiling voice. Try her album "Desfado" which has a version of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" that rivals the original.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsfar
As a young audiophile (I got my first serious system at age 22), I briefly fell into the trap of playing records that made my system sound good---music in the service of sound. That is a shallow, empty experience. I quickly tired of it, and have ever since considered good sound a bonus. Superior Hi-Fi is that which deepens the listener's connection with the music played on it, even if the sound per se of the recording is not particularly good.
Rhiannon also makes appearances on The New Basement Tapes.

Check out Nikki Hill...
Bdp24: You are speaking my kind of language! I wish I could have made that statement in an earlier thread. Thank you!
So many great female singers, in no particular order:

Anything by Shawn Colvin

Sara K, particularly "Waterfalls", one of the best recorded CDs I have

Jonatha Brooke

Sara Jarosz " Build me Up from Bones"

Kate Rusby, an English Folk Singer, anything, but "Underneath the Stars" is great

If you like Fado, anything by Amalia Rodrigez