Great female voices

I've always been fascinated by wonderful female voices (who isn't?) and have come across a couple recently that I want to share.

Rhiannon Giddens' solo album "Tomorrow is My Turn", produced by T-Bone Burnett, is an extraordinary recording of one of the great voices I've heard in many years, with a vocal and stylistic range that I've seldom heard from any other singer, ever.

And the Portuguese Fado singer Ana Moura has an amazingly beguiling voice. Try her album "Desfado" which has a version of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" that rivals the original.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsfar
So many great female singers, in no particular order:

Anything by Shawn Colvin

Sara K, particularly "Waterfalls", one of the best recorded CDs I have

Jonatha Brooke

Sara Jarosz " Build me Up from Bones"

Kate Rusby, an English Folk Singer, anything, but "Underneath the Stars" is great

If you like Fado, anything by Amalia Rodrigez
There is one other very special woman I believe everyone should hear---Iris Dement. I learned of her from Merle Haggard, who was raving about her at the time of her 1st or 2nd album, about twenty years ago. Her music is that great blend of singer/songwriter, hard country, bluegrass, and a little folk (not too much!). She not only has a great voice, she is also an astounding songwriter. Merle recorded her "No Time To Cry", but hers is the one to have, on her "My Life" album. Mostly acoustic, she has all the first call Nashville musicians on her records, guys like Jerry Douglas (Alison Krauss band) on dobro. For the atheists out there, let me warn you that she comes from a spiritual place (sounds Southern Baptist to me)---but then so do Buddy and Julie Miller (Julie has a couple of OOP Christian albums out there). As a bonus, her records, like many bluegrass albums, have pretty darn good sound.
Iris makes nice records, though her voice might be more raucous than lovely (Atheists can come from a spiritual place, too, btw). For a really strong flavor in the Iris vein, check our Lizzie LaPrelle.

For the great Eva Cassidy, try "Simply Eva." The version "Wayfaring Stranger" found there is a reference track in my listening group.

+1 on Sarah Jarosz; her version of "Come on Up to the House" is another reference track, as it goes pretty low for the genre.

An obvious choice, but I'd not want to overlook Margo Timmons of Cowboy Junkies. Lovely voice, solid recordings. "Acoustic Junk" is a limited release to look for.

John
For lovely in a conventional way try Over the Rhine. For something a little different Mary Gauthier, especially The Foundling. For a Euro flavour try some Sophie Zelmani. The Wailin' Jennies and Be Good Tanya's also. There are so many.