What is the test of time?

The followint quote is from an interesting post in another thread:
I don't think it will stand the test of time. Most music doesn't.
What exactly is the proverbial test of time though? Critics spout that phrase all the time. But what exactly qualifies something to have stood the test of time? Critics said that rap wouldn't last over twenty years ago. Critics said that pop wouldn't last over forty years ago. Critics said that r&b wouldn't last over fifty years ago. Critics said that swing wouldn’t last over seventy years ago...

Interesting subject. Since the dawn of recording technology and especially now, people everywhere are scrambling to archive recordings of the past into whatever is the latest, greatest medium and format. In light of this, just about everything ever recorded will survive time. But still the question remains, what is the "test" of time. If anyone on earth listens to something long forgotten, does that mean it has stood the test of time?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the topic. What is the “test of time” to you?
creeper
I can't believe the group "America" did Muskrat Love. It sure ruined their greatest hits cd.
The four M's

Monteverde, Mozart, Mendleson, Menudo

OK - which one doesn't fit? lol
Going back to my example, I may have made an error since I compared 13 year olds in the past with folks a whole lot older than that today. If a bunch of 13 year olds were put in a room today and they listened to the Monkeys and the Beatles, I bet two things would happen:
1) A lot of the kids would prefer the Monkeys
2) A lot of the kids wouldn't like either band

Hmmmm.
Good point Ozfly. I don't even like the beetles. I used to but their music seems really old now.

I like Bach though. His music is deep enough to always get something new from it. I can't say the same for "it's been a hard days night..."

Go figure.
Robm321,
You should revisit "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". I think you'd be surprised by some of the orchestral arrangements. "When I'm Sixty-Four" has one of my all time favorite clarinet hooks.