Best female vocals on CD

Want recommendations for Female recordings on CD. Thanks Joe
jwstannese647
The late Sandy Denny deserves a place in this survey, check her out with Fairport Convention as well as her solo recordings.
...After reading Rayhalls' and Sramas' decidedly harsh criticisms of Diana Kralls' music, I listened to the one CD I have of hers, and the next day went out and bought three more-- to help ensure her "commercial" success. I don't actually know much about jazz singers as it's a genre I don't generally like. But I do know that I like Diana Krall's jazz/ballads, and her lush, husky, beautiful voice IS enough for my obviously limited intellectual and emotional capabilities-- despite what Rayhall says. I was pleased and surprised to see that Srama likes Margo Timmins music as she's one of my favorites also, but it rather amazes me that he could like Margo Timmins voice but not D.K.s? Margo Timmins voice has many of the same characteristics that Rayhall critisizes in D.K., eg limited vocal range, and M.T. has poor ennunciation-- but expressive, yes; intimate, seductive, and haunting all at once. I have all the Cowboy Junkies CDs. Both singers (on MY system) sound like they are in the room with me. Cheers, Craig.
.....So let's not discourage Joe from trying Diana Krall's music. Thanks. Craig
I agree with most of the above and vote for Diana Krall.I like Barbra immensly but something about DK's subtle approach is great. When you can get emotion without maxing out a four octave voice like Celine or Whitney on every song means you can sing. Old timers Lena Horne, Dinah Shore, Jo Stafford, Peggy Lee, Keely Smith were not mentioned and were simply awesome. Also not mentioned were sixties and seventies stars Melanie and Helen Reddy. Nashville singers Mandy Barnett and Shana Petrone have not (yet) enjoyed commercial success but are among the best ever.
OK Craig. I cry uncle. I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone from trying any artist and I certainly don't see you as intellectually or emotionally limited. But, I have listened to a number of D.K.'s CD's to see what all the fuss was about. And other than the recording quality, I still don't understand it. I just thought that guys like you who like her might be willing to share in a little detail why you do with infidels like me.