Heavy Metaller needs some class ical .

Okay, okay, I'm 33 years old and I still love heavy, speed, and death metal. I might never grow up :), but I'm willing to give some great classical recordings a try. I was hoping to get some good recommendations on the top 3 or so classical recordings on CD and DVD-A to get me started. Being an adreneline based music listener, you'll obviously want to recommend high energy stuff that is wonderfully recorded to save my soul from eternal damnation. :)
ccerny95ae
At a Judas Priest show in the late 80's a sociologist asked members of the crowd as they were leaving who was their favorite band. Of those who answered Judas Priest about 1/4 listed their second favorite band as classical music. I can't add too much to the list but I will add what I think are intense and well recorded performances. Dutoit conducting Montreal for Holst's The Planets, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, and Respighi's Pines of Rome. Rite of Spring conducted by Ozawa and Chicago on the new RCA HP remaster. Bach, Virgil Fox CD on the Clearlight label. For Wagner selections Reiner or Solti conducting. For russian selections try Solti's Romantic Russia CD.
You may know that chord progressions in Heavy Metal typically came from Classical Music. You might be surprised at how many heavy metal rockers studied classical music for this reason. But that wasn't your question--I too would recommend Russian composers. They are energetic, dynamic, and passionate. 2 that have not been mentioned that I would try out is Rachmoninov Piano Concerto # 3 and Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture. I also agree that Wagner's Ride of the Valkaries is great. This is slightly off the subject, but if you haven't seen the movie "Crossroads" you might like it--Classical meets Heavy Metal. It's not on my top ten list--but I would list it as one of those "guilty pleasures". And Dekay--I love Barber of Seville--the bugs bunny version too!
Deeper in the repertoire are great works for headbangers, Janacek "Sinfonietta", Liszt "Todtentanz", Berlioz Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale", Tchaikovsky "Capriccio Italien" and Boito Prologue To Mefistofele". For Hendrix lovers like me, Tchaikovsky "Violin Concerto in D" played by Heifetz, RCA Red Seal CD re-issue. These are in no particular order, not even alphabetical. Back in the day, I was entertaining friends including the lead guitar for Pacific Gas and Electric, enjoying some rare herbs and put Heifetz on the Rek-O-Kut. A couple of bars into the cadenza in the first movement, this well known guitarist threw himself on the floor in front of the purple naugahyde covered A-7 (Bogen PA Amp) and grooved all the way through the first movement. He got up from the floor and exclaimed, "wow, that guys fast!"
So right Kitch29. For the lead guitarist in your life also play the Heifitz recordings of the concertos by Sibelius, Walton, Bruch, Mendelssohn and Brahms. (The order is based on my experience with several HM guitarists)
Although i only listen to 200 year old dead guys on movie soundtracks,you can find classical trained musicians like joe satriani,yngwie malmstein and others that do modern versions of classical music.I will try a few of the above if only for the sake of argument in the future.