How does Sony DVP-S9000ES compare to other Sony's?

How does the DVP-S9000ES compare to Sony's high end players such as CDP-C555ES, CDP-X7ES, and their SACD players, CD-1, and xa777es? Just curious if it would keep me happy if I bought.
i'm using a Audible Illusions Modulus 3A pre-amp, Bel Canto EVO2 amp, Celestion 11 (will be replacing with?) speakers, and NAD 5000 CD player (needs to be replaced, is having tracking and skipping problems)

Thanks
128x128rich121
I think that Albert's CDR may be one that I made. Sent him an email to confirm this before posting any details.
The CD that played in Albert's deck was one that I made.

I used a Pioneer PDR-W839 stand alone CD burner and "Digital Audio" blanks.

The Pioneer only accepts "Digital Audio" blanks, which are more expensive, but as an aside it makes great copies.
I do not know how it compares to another Sony's but I know how it compares to old Arcam CD player (it unfortunately does not, after few months I can see how unmusical it is).
Detailed review:

http://www.audioreview.com/DVD+Players/Sony+DVP-S9000ES/PRD_125007_1587crx.aspx

After two more months with it we are not using it any more except for DVD's. And I'm not going to buy SACD player at least from SONY in the future.

Mine conclusion technology does not matter as much as maker.
My friend works in the design section (VP) of Sony Electronics in Japan and he told me this:

1. The SONY 9000ES was initially conceived as a SACD/CD machine- and was supposed to be marketed as a more affordable version of the SCD-1.

2. The design was a scaled down version of the SCD-1 but principally based on the SCD-1 architecture.

3. It was supposed to be launched at that time as a pure CD/SACD player but Sony saw a gap in the high-end market for DVD players (especially in progressive) and therefore wanted a piece of the action. Its older model the S7700 was in the minds of Sony a marketing failure- and units sold were far below expectations. They then made adjustments and turned the 9000ES into a DVD player unit. However....this was an afterthought...

4. Despite technical difficulties DVD capability was introduced with the so-called "progressive" scan- again another marketing tool. In fact my friend said DVD playback was actually extremely poor...despite favourable reviews. There were a lot of problems (chroma bug etc). This has been confirmed in Secrets of Home Theater where the 9000ES scores very low on video and fails a lots of tests...

5. Despite the weakness in vidoe the 9000ES was then marketed as a DVD player first since the marketing guys knew that DVD playback was a priority in the eyes of the consumer especially with the number of DVD titles was ready to explode. The SACD portion was thrown in as free to get the consumer to obviously try it. out.

6. Roughly at the same time the 777ES was released to target still the high-end/early adopters of the multi-channel SACD market. In fact the 777ES design was very similiar to 9000ES. His quote was actually " like sister and brother". Apart from some different components the 9000ES is up there with the 777ES.

7. Explosive sales of 9000ES vindicated Sony's marketing guys...but my friend said the sonic capabilites of 9000ES are 80% of the 777ES (except the 777ES has multi-channel SACD playback- therefore catering to the early adopters).
The Redbook is identical.

8. In conclusion my friend said if you can...get your hands on a 9000ES- it is best value for money. A lot of people in Japan are using as a CD/SACD player and NOT a DVD player. Unless you need multi-channel support do not buy the 777ES- the cost doesnt justify it. In fact he went on to say that the pricing of the 777ES was marked up heavily to justify its existence to the high end market. How else can you get a millionaire to part with his cash....the 777ES is "reassuringly expensive"- but is it better than the 9000ES- not really he said.

9. Since production of the 9000ES has stopped- 2nd hand demand is still very strong..in Japan with units selling at close to the original price.

10. Summary- if you looking for a SACD/CD player- get yourself a SONY9000es- wait for the dust to settle then get an all-in-one next year or the new flagship SONY SACD with ilink released soon. If you have a 9000ES - keep hold of it- this is one of life's bargains.....
Also funny enough SONY's new flagship SACD player will also be called the 9000ES...the SCD-XA9000ES...maybe the guys at SONY do have a sense of humour or deja vu!!!!!!