How much does your system retail for?

$23,000 - $24,000 I estimate. (Two channel, this does not include TV, VCR, etc.)

Please, keep the exagerations to a minumum, do not count CD's, equipment you have bought and sold, is packed away that you don't use anymore, etc..

Put the total first so it shows up at the begining of your post.

This is just for fun and curiosity of the diversity on here, don't take it to seriously. Simply evaluate what the retail value of your system is.
brianmgrarcom
Enough that my wife would be shocked dismayed and disappointed if she knew; about 15k but I spent over 20k to get to this point. Fortunately she does not ask.
$2200 new in 85 and as I sit here listening I am as happy as a pig stuck in the mud.
It just sounds so good.

I think my speakers are worth their weight in gold at about 60 pounds each. The amps worth double the $400 I paid. The quality of my turntable you couldn't touch new for 5k. The arm came with the TT but thats another 3k at least from what I see on the market today. I just bought a vintage Empire Cartridge for a oneBuckfifty, and last year I had the speakers refoamed for about $400. Good as new not bad for twenty years of pleasure.

When people describe soundstage, precence, defination.clarity, harmonics in their systems I have it all. And a great room as well

Merry Christmas
Love is all you Need

Groovey Records

Listening to The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour Capital 2835 Rainbow
Lets put some perspective into this :

I first bought an integrated amp and a pair of inexpansive speakers -- both used with a cd player of some kind and cheap ICs and speaker cables.

I later added a used turntable and should finish the setup with an Arcam cd73 and matching ICs.

In the end, total should be around 2000$.

Less than the average single component here on Agon.
I don't see any other upgrade in the near future.

And you know what? Although I would cry if I tried one your systems in my living room (and I'm sure I would), I appreciate my system as it is and for what it does : it allows me to enjoy the music I love.

And it is nice to know that everybody feels pretty much the same, no mather the price paid.
I have a used turntable. It's a Spacedeck. But man, don't be so down on your system. I really like Arcam's. And a $2000 system is more than I ever thought I would spend on something I dearly love - music and my listening tools.
Forgetting about other hobby's where people spend obscene amounts of money, for example, cars (including aftermarket add ons) aviation, boating, aqauriums, remote cars and planes, etc.......

What about people that over the years have spend similar amounts (okay Albert aside) going out drinking (I'm sure that adds up) drugs (including tobacco), the lottery and gambling, prostitutes.

While most of society would look at us as crazy, there are much more frivolus things people do with their money, who have much less to show in terms of assets, and may have harmed their health and or psyche in the process.

Another way I look at it, a night out at a jazz club (included 2 drink minumum) is $40-50 per person, and most of the time you are not hearing anywhere near the level of talent most of we jazz fans hear on a nightly basis.