Greatest rhythm sections

The rhythm section in a jazz, blues or rock band provides the foundation and motive force for the entire ensemble. The truly great ones not only establish the band's sonic signature, they can generate new styles. Which rhythm sections do you think have been the most influential in their respective genres, and, or changed the way you listened to music? Please try to limit your selections to groups and not individual musicians as it the ensemble sound I'd like to get your comments on.
siliab
Don Brewer and Mel Schacher of Grand Funk Railroad, who were kicked off as opening band for Led Zepplin. They were ordered off the stage when Peter Grant threatened Grand Funk's manager to get them off or else.

Also, I would put in there Bill Ward and Geezer Butler who provided the bottom and backing for the fathers of heavy metal; Black Sabbath.

And, for a few extra combos; Noel Redding & Mitch Mitchell and Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker.

For the life of me, I can't think of any contemporary combos.
Herbie Hancock,Tony Williams,and Ron Carter with the Miles Davis/Wayne Shorter quintets is my personal favorite but I don't fell qualified to say it is the best.

Others to consider are from some of Coltrane's groups,Bill Evan's rhythm section,and the modern jazz quartet(the vibraphone served a rhythm/solo function).

In rock,Baker,Clapton,and Bruce with Cream brought counterpoint to rock and roll.
Jerry Harrison, Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth were the driving force behind the Talking Heads.
How about Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespere who were the rhythm section for hundreds of reggae bands, the most famous of which was Bob Marley and the Wailers.