Greatest rhythm sections

The rhythm section in a jazz, blues or rock band provides the foundation and motive force for the entire ensemble. The truly great ones not only establish the band's sonic signature, they can generate new styles. Which rhythm sections do you think have been the most influential in their respective genres, and, or changed the way you listened to music? Please try to limit your selections to groups and not individual musicians as it the ensemble sound I'd like to get your comments on.
siliab
Rosstaman, you made a great call with the Talking Heads. The rhythm section of that band surely was a major influence in their fresh sound. Right on the money with the topic of this thread!
Tim Bogert And Carmine Appice; particularly in their brief stint with Jeff Beck.
Don't forget the JBs (Maceo Parker, et. al.) when they were backing James Brown-check out the tune "Doing it to Death".

Also, although the Tower of Power was rightfully lauded for the horn section, their rhythm section was excellent.

Finally, Issac Hayes' rhythm section on Hot Buttered Soul, recently re-released, laid it down too!
Gotta disqualify the Who w/ Moon even though I love them. Moon couldn't keep a beat unless he a friggin metronome blasting in his headphones. Now if you want to talk most destructive (self and equipment) drummers, he would certainly get my vote.
Motown's internal house band, the Funk Brothers, deserve a major nod here. That would be Pistol Allen (drums) and James Jamerson (bass).