Greatest rhythm sections

The rhythm section in a jazz, blues or rock band provides the foundation and motive force for the entire ensemble. The truly great ones not only establish the band's sonic signature, they can generate new styles. Which rhythm sections do you think have been the most influential in their respective genres, and, or changed the way you listened to music? Please try to limit your selections to groups and not individual musicians as it the ensemble sound I'd like to get your comments on.
siliab
Not necessarily the greatest, but an intensely musical pair are Pino Palladino and Manu Katche. They're both primarily studio musicians, but they seem to pair up frequently (Joan Armatrading, Julia Fordham, Tears For Fears, Sting, etc.).
Onhwy61, nice choice. Manu Katche is incredibly talented, and while I can't comment directly on Pino Palladino, I saw the first show he did at the Hollywood Bowl with the Who after John Entwistle (spelling?) died and Pino did an outstanding job with almost no rehearsal.
sly and robbie have done many, mnay great things. But, being the rhythm section for hundreds of reggae bands? Mmmm, hardly. Dozens of bands? Maybe. Rhythm section for bob Marley & the wailers? That’s just wrong. For that you’ve got to look for the real deal- Aston Familyman Barrett and brother Carly Barrett.

Fams and Carly are the real deal- the most dynamic duo. Their careers is a virtual history of reggae, from the dawn with lee scratch perry, they formed the core of the hippyboys, the upsetters, and yes, the wailers. they too had countless unaccredited sessions in-between.

it seems strange that people will stand in line for hours to credit ‘sly and robbie’ with wonderful achievements, while shunning Fams & Carly. Can anyone explain?
"Gosh, Mejames, guess the thread's over."  

Wrong. It has barely started.

matscticman knows something here, Geezer Butler & Bill Ward.
I give Tim Bogert & Carmine Appice  and...

FELIX PAPPALARDI & CORKY LAING

Some more offerings:

Jeff Porcaro, Mike Porcaro, and David Paich (Toto)

David Garibaldi and Rocco Prestia (T.O.P)

Any Steely Dan record Gadd, Porcaro, Purdie, Rick Marotta, Jim Keltner, Chuck Rainey

Jaco Pastorius and Peter Erskine (Weather Report)

John McVie and Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac)

Phil Gould and Mark King (Level 42)

Although I don't like this band personally, Flea and Chad Smith are a formidable rhythm section.