Marantz vs. Pioneer Receivers

WOULD LIKE THE INPUT OF ANYONE WHO OWNS OR HAVE HAD REAL EXPERIENCE WITH VINTAGE MARANTZ AND PIONEER RECEIVERS, I.E. MARANTZ 2285 VS PIONEER SX-1050 OR MARANTZ 2325 VS PIONEER SX-1250/1980. ASIDE FROM THE POWER DIFFERENCES, WHICH OF THESE RECEIVERS IS THE MORE MUSICAL. THANKS TO ALL THAT RESPOND.
wepratt
THEY SOUND A LOT BETTER IF YOU TAKE THE LOUDNESS SWITCH OFF!

Apart from that, which receiver do you think sounds more musical? That's the one to go with.
Well I don't have comparative experience, but I have a dinged up Marantz 2250, with burnt out bulbs and somewhat scratchy volume and balance pots. But damn the thing sounds great. Musical, powerful, dynamic, warm, tuneful. Really good FM -- decent reception, excellent fidenltiy. Beats up on a couple of NAD untis I have, one intergrated and one rceiver. The wife really likes it alot -- it's the only audio purchase I've ever made (it was a steal at like $75CDN) about which she's never even bat an eyelash.

In teh 70's, for mid fi types, Marantz, above all others, was the dream name. With good reason.

Richard
Marantz and Pioneer both made good receivers, but I preferred Yamaha over either of them. In fact, I still have a Yamaha in my bedroom system.