Best Value System

A lot of stuff has been written about how great this or that piece of hifi gear was and we are all familiar with such talk. Yes, we can talk about THE very best system available but how many can afford that very best system?
So, I think we should talk about the best value systems available. Yes, there are many such systems as well and maybe you good folks out there can make some suggestions so that the not so experienced players like me can benefit.
Even though I am relatively inexperienced, I am not new to hifi. I have listened to systems ranging from a couple of thousand to about a hundred K.
After going through this humbling experience, I found what I thought was my best value system and that is:
Any reasonable quality cdp with a volume control and this can be had for less than $1000 used. You can then run it straight to the ATC SCM 100 ASL (New $14000, used-between 8-10K. You only need 1 pr of interconnect. So, for between 10-15K, you can have a world class system. From there on you can slowly upgrade the front end (and maybe, add a supratek pre) You can spend many times more and you may not even get this sound quality.
I hope this doesn't bore you. After all, I believe this forum is all about value.
Enjoy.
thf
I am a traditional thinker in this regard. I agree with tmf and the others that suggest that the only thing that counts is what you expect. I have experimented with all manner of equipment seeking the holy grail for my style of listening in my space. I have spent a fortune on dedicated circuits regarding power and see little value in it. I have not even noticed any room issues until recently which was remedied moving the speakers. If you have a princess with a pea in the matress problem that is another matter. If there is something you don't like like then that is easier to address. Taste is all that can put a system together for you.
•Sony SCD-775 SACD/CD changer - $120 new
*NAD 3125 Integrated Amp - $140 used
*Vandersteen IB - $200 used
*Monster Cable Interlink 4 interconnects - used/free from dealer
*AudioQuest FMS Gray speaker cables - used/$40

I bought this system for my son a few years back, and for $500 it is literally unbelievable. It is unceasingly musical with everything that is played on it. 1/80th the cost of my system, which I love, but hardly 1/80th the system.
Thf,

If "best value" is the most accurate CD sound reproduction at the lowest cost for a large room, then I have to agree with your suggestion.

Any professional who works in a recording studio will confirm that the ATC SCM 100A is one of the long time respected work horses of the industry. These speakers are very well known for accuracy and producing both low and extremely high SPL's with consistency, at extremely low distortion levels. There are also other pro speakers used in studios that you might consider.

You have only one drawback in your bare bones choice: The inability to tweak treble or base to adjust for your room.

However, if "best value" is reasonably good sound reproduction at a reasonable price then I think you can do extremely well for less than $3K, as several have pointed out on these boards. Contrary to other posts, however, I believe that in the digital IC world of today, it is by far the speaker that remains the most critical component and where well over half of my budget would go in any system at any price. You seem to be prepared to spend a lot on the speakers - to me this is a good sign.

See this presentation is from a pragmatic professional
http://signal.ece.utexas.edu/seminars/dsp_seminars/01fall/AudioMyths.ppt

The professional's advice (not mine) is:
Buy CD players, amplifiers, and other electronics based on their feature set
Speakers improve markedly up to around $1500/pair
Spend time setting up your listening environment for best results
Use 12-gauge to hook up your speakers
Use good co-ax for interconnect
Avoid tweak items such as rubber feet, cones, black boxes, esoteric cables, power cords, and line filters
Thf, I myself, I try to put a good musical system,
without getting second mortgage.This is only my
own opinion,If I spend S7500, If it sounds like $21k
then, I will consider it best value.My second system
consist of Oddyssey stratos extreme monoblock,$2500
Diapason Adamantes I $1900, AH NJOE Tjoeb with upsampler 1K,
Preamp used Art audio $900,speaker cable SPeltZ $80
ic PS $50, pc model 11 $150 each,VD audition used $145
PS audio ultimate outlet $299,TG audio 688 2pair $150 each.
This system cost at least $7500. I compare this system
to 20K, my system is at least as good.IMHO.Thanks
Mind boggling !!.

You all have lots of money to spend. I admire this dedication to perfection. Till rcently I did not even know 80% of the things that are talked about here. Well now I know a little bit. I recently spent $500 on a HK 3480 Stereo receiver +2 Klipsch SB-2 Bookshelf speakers. Extremely happy with what I am hearing out of them. Will be in 7th heaven if I can rip all my CDs, store it in HDD, and play it out with the same audio quality. Am working on that with a budget of $500.

The numbers that are talked around here are bone chilling. I do not think I will ever have that kind of money to spend on Music.

Are you all very very rich people ? (I guess so, very knowledgeable too !!), How do you all make your money.

Very curious.

Thanks
Boni