Best Cognac

As the title says!

im quite a cognac novice i admit, while i love it (it is my favorite drink) the only cognac i have extensive experience with is Remy Martin XO, which i very much enjoy...so help me select my next bottle!!
mbacinello
Excellent Cognac value: Daniel Bouju VSOP, about $35 at the big box retailers. Unbelievably smooth, wonderful nose - slightly spicy and some nice fruit. Round and rich on the palate, some underlying wood. Try it. It was recently rated third out of the Top 50 Cognacs. The other varieties up line are also nice but don't yield the same incredible value.
Cognac de Collection Jean Grosperrin: true vintage (to the highest possible degree of certainty), no blending, no reduction, no caramel addition, and absolutely MAJESTIC (en majuscules, je vous prie)! My last bottle: 1962 Petite Champagne (bottled 2001); think I'll sell some audio cables and try to find me another one ;^)
http://www.lagabare.com/en/index.htm

Of the more readily available cognacs: Léopold Gourmel "Age des Épices" (that, personally, I like even better than their "Quintessence"), exclusively Fins Bois cognacs and proof that these vineyards can turn out a fantastic product from the hands of a great distiller.
There is no accounting for taste, of course, but, for myself, once I tasted tres vieux Calvados, there simply was no reason to ever pursue cognac again. I loathe hyperbole but the finer Calvados products are simply in another league, and I am comparing products from both camps in very similar price ranges ( like $150. to $300. per bottle ). Wrap your lips ( and, especially, nose ) around a 25-30 year old Adrien Camut or a Coeur de Lion, to name a couple, and see if you can ever go back.
Mes Chers Amis Americains! (My dear American friends),

Why go to France when you can enjoy fine Californian fare.
Technically not Cognac, Bonny Doon vineyards offers a great "Brandy" Marc de Cigare. It holds its own against many of the Cognacs listed above.

Unfortunately I checked the Bonny Doon web-site and they do not seem to be offering it anymore. But Acresverde will be happy to know that they do offer a Calvadoon!.

Fine music, fine wine (or spirits) c'estla belle vie!
More to discover