The best sounding FM Tuner is.....

OK Magnum Dynalab, Fanfare, Day Sequerra, etc. owners...I have no "high end" dealer in my area that carries a great tuner. I probably will not have the chance to listen to or 'a/b' compare a tuner before I decide to purchase. I'm asking anyone with comparison experience or anyone that feels that the own the best to respond in this discussion. Thanks, I look forward to reading your responses!
jaguar
Hi doug,
Thanks again for all the very helpful information!
You have given me a lot to work with, and it's greatly appreciated. I'm on my quest for a great tuner!

Regards,
Martin
Well now this is an interesting thread. Especially since we are getting into high definition broadcasts.Not many folks are focused on these components anymore. If so they go after the solid state by far.Yes the Onyko's have terrific reception,amazing. The modded Onyko that I listened to I had to turn it off within several minutes it's sonics were that bad. It was proclaimed to be as good as the Kenwood and Sansui hot shots but less monies with the mod of course. I've listened to a Marantz 10B and then the world reknowned HH Scott 4310 Broadcast tuner used in tandum with the same. They would go back and forth to pick up the best signal and the winner would lock in and broadcast, talk about ahead of their time, WOW. The 4310 creamed the 10b within seconds, it was amazing. I beleive upgraded and properly aligned this tuner will crush anything known to man. Also there is a close second best Scott tuner also. What is it? In my most humbled opinion, Joe
lithojoe, the 4310 *is* the "close second best" scott tuna. :>) most tuna freaks will tell you that the 310d w/an outboard mpx decoder, or the 310e, are better sounding tunas than the 4310. (even most honest scott freaks will tell you this - the 4310 is a collectable.) most tuna freaks will also say the vintage fisher tunas like the fm90r, fm90x, etc, will *also* sound better than *any* of the scotts, tho they're not as sensitive. as will the 3000-series & above tubed sherwoods. again, the sherwoods aren't as sensitive.

so, i think it highly unlikely that a 4310 will crush everything. or even come close for that matter. i have yust sold a perfect 310d & its matching 335 mpx decoder; the decoder has been refurb'd. this combo *was* supurb, no doubt. and, its sensitivity *is* pretty amazing, for an old tube set-up. but its sonic performance, imo, is exceeded by the fisher/sherwoods mentioned above, as well as any number of other tunas i have owned or still own.

ymmv,

doug s.
Doug: Listen we are going to have to agree to disagree. There can be sonic variables to all vintage tube equipment. Very often two identical models will not sound the same. Or one mod on the same unit may not sound nearly as good as anothers depending on their expertise. So in your audio world reality you may have experienced your flawed conclusions. In my personal experience it is often the case that I may have to go outside to get some fresh air first. Then I seek out recording engineers,electrical engineers, 25 year plus tube manufactuer's with their own circuit designs, etc. to formulate opinions and recomendations. Then spend another ten years validated those opinions or recommmendations and come up with a public opinion. Not rely on the "tuna freaks" or reviewers perked by the advertisers, and the forum want to be's. Please I must take your opinion with a large grain of salt. I won't take that grain throw it over my shoulder and hope I picked the right piece of vintage tube unit for audition. The 310-D or 310-E is only noted greatly for it's sensitivity. When your ready for a shoot out please let me know grab your best tuna or someone else's and will go deep sea fishing and see who comes back with the trophy. That certaininly will put this thread to rest. As always best regards!