tubes or no tubes

ok, finally I am getting into higher performance...but now to cross or not to cross the tube bridge.

Sold my PMC TB2s, waiting on a pair of FB1s from a fellow Agon member and thinking of using a VTL ST 150. Go tubes or stick with my Bryston 3BST?

Just wondering about the sonic match to an easy speaker to drive (8ohm @ 90db)

Any thoughts...please? I think I know the answer, guess I am looking for the push...yes?
gelmhirst
I prefer the sound of tubes. But at the moment I am enjoying solid state (until I get some funds to upgrade to what I want).

Tubes give a more enjoyable sound to my ears, especially with vinyl. That being said, I like being able to leave my solid state on all of the time and not worrying about tube life for now.

Be careful though, it is addicting.

Rob
Just a follow up, I have gone all tubes, and it has been a long time coming...very glad I took the plunge, there's nothing quite like it. I do like the mb Rogues as an entry level trial to the tube world. I look forward to the journey ahead..
Thanks everyone for the push!
Tubes tend to have much more harmonic distortion than SS amps.

So it depends whether you like the added extra harmonics...some find this more musical...whatever you prefer .....music and almost all natural sounds are full of even harmonics anyway....it is a question of taste.
I think Shadorne hit the nail on the head. Last weekend I listened to a friend's TRL 225 that just replaced his many-tubed Cary to drive a pair of Spendor monitors. The sound with the TRL is more open and transparent, and the imaging has improved; the Cary sound is perhaps a bit warmer. For my taste, the TRL 225 is a big improvement over the Cary.

db
right, and there are plenty of tubed amps (Berning ZH70 comes to mind), that when properly tubed, are as or more transparent than any SS amp, and some SS amps that are darker than most tubed amps, so no generalizations!