Which computer for digitizing and streaming?

Hi All,

After five foot surgeries, I'm moving to digitize my LP collection. I will be buying a new computer which will be used exclusively as a music streamer. My question: does the computer matter other than the size of the hard drive? I could get a mini mac or a PC laptop; I'm not wedded to either format. Other than size of the hard drive, what, if any, other specs should I be on the lookout for?

Any advice recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Rustler
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
I suspect that the most significant factor affecting the sonic quality you will end up obtaining is the quality of the A/D (analog-to-digital) converter that is used. And although I have no directly relevant experience, I would be skeptical of the sonic quality of the A/D converter that is built into laptops or Mac Minis.

Also, what might be a good alternative to purchasing an expensive stand-alone audiophile-oriented ADC is to purchase a professional digital recorder that records to flash memory cards. You would then transfer the digitized files to whatever computer you use for playback. Such devices are made by, among others, Tascam, Marantz Pro, and at higher price points Sound Devices and Nagra. B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com) carries many such products.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al
I'll be using the PS Audio Phono converter unit with a Rega P-25 fitted with a Benz Micro Gilder, all of which have been professionally calibrated and tuned up. Looking to convert between 500 and 600 LPs over the next year.

Thanks so far; I look forward to more feedback.
Transferring vinyl to digital is a time consuming process. Count on each album taking at least 2x the playing time to convert. Realistically you will average 2 or 3 records per day.

Your setup should work fine. Things to consider are your recording sample rate, recording/editing software, whether you will use a software declicker, do you need sample rate conversion, are you recording as an album side or are you going to break down to individual songs and file format. Just be sure to back up all your files daily.
All appreciated Onhwy61 (great name). I've heard Vinyl Engine is good; any other recommendations?