Most Tedius Part of Audiodom Setup/Tweak/DIY ?

Hi, guys,

the moment we audiophiles step foot (feet for those who JUMP in) into the madness called high-end audio, we are bound to become more and more hands-on kind of people, for various reasons.

The level of hands-on experience can range from the common excercises like speaker placement or feet replacement for electronics to building one's own amps or speaker cabinets.

While the successful execution of any of these "labor of love" will put smile on our faces, the labor itself can be boring, time consuming, dangerous (!), and/or sometimes downright difficult.

What do you feel has been the most memorably painful/tedious experience as hands-on audiophiles?

Thank you,

David
wonjun
Hi David; IMO even though speaker placement/location is a common task all audiophiles face, it is probably the most important in terms of yielding beneficial results. When we remodeled our house and I gained a bigger listening room, I spent 61 days playing with speaker location. And with 70 lb. spiked speakers it became physically demanding, was also mentally draining, and at times tedious.

But 61 days later I was satisfied that I had tried almost every conceivable location, and ended up being happy with what turned out to be a very good compromise-- that's right, a compromise. I considered all the trade-offs of different positions, and settled on an excellent compromise-- no regrets here. Cheers. Craig
Taking apart and re-assembling in another spot is certainly the most tedious (I'm doing this as we speak) process I can think of. Narrowing it down to a single item, I would have to say re-'tweaking' the rack and levelling each shelf one by one is a mind-numbing task. Although, setting up a cartridge may take top honors and at least runs a close 2nd.
Most tedious: had to be building my own amps from scratch. Tweaking the design seems to never end, & even when you do eventually finish, you know in the back of your mind that it could still be better. I only stopped because I was so tired of messing with it - & after the second generation design it was getting really frustrating, less & less fun. Gives you some idea of what the designers have to struggle with.
Most memorably difficult was building my first speakers, again from scratch. I am not good with woodcutting, but they came out what I thought was wonderful (well for me it was). Those heavy 15" 3way monster cabinets served for many years & were upgraded several times before I bought my first & only pair of *real* speakers which were really so much better I just couldn't believe it. But considering that initially I had more time than money, it was all worthwhile & certainly hooked me into this hobby very permanently.
So Dave, what are some of your own exploits in this regard? Sounds like you've had some experiences of your own?
Speaker placement & equipment support. As I'm not a builder unlike Bob above, tuning the equip through supports has always been the worst. Move a cone and the sound shifts, add mass, and there it goes again. Not better or worse, just different. Then move the speakers to adjust to the new tuning, then back again... ad nauseam. Add to that my laziness in such matters, and the result is mega tedium.

During such (rare nowadays) tweaking sessions I usually just give up half way and listen to the music...!

Cheers!
I agree that disassembling/reassembling a system to move it to another room or another location in the room, or to put it all on a new rack is the WORST. Somehow I always end up w/bruised fingers from slamming my hand into the wall unplugging tight interconnects from a too-tight space, plus the lower back ache that lasts for a couple of days! The worst experience in audio I have had to date was moving into my townhouse. I had to disassemble and pack up 3 systems, 3000 CDs, 1000 LPs, and 250 LDs and DVDs. Plus two TVs. I swear I will never move again. I am here for life.