Is a cheap 350 Power conditioner

better than not having a conditioner at all? Niam and Madrigal both say dedicated lines and don't use a power conditioner. I have a dedicated line. I read the treads and they either "make a world of difference" or "kill the sound." The "world of difference" seem to be attached to $1500 and above units. Whats the story?
schroedersmcj
Don't think in terms of money--think in terms of noise control strategy. For less than $75 you can get decent used isolation transformers in eBay. I bought a 400W/ 4 amp Power Var for $55 and plugged my DAC to it. Al I did was to open it up and use Pro Gold on all the contact points. What a difference in my system! I am already using a Tice A/V Solo, so my CDP is hooked to the Digital outlet of the Tice. Now I don't have to keep my power amp plugged the Tice! Even analog performance has benefited. I also have all these things plugged to a Panamax Coax Four and in its power cord I installed a Highwire Wirewrap. Simply amazing performance...

My next step is to buy a 3000 W isolation transformer (220V in/ 110V out) and install a line filter at the 220V level, prior to entering the transformer. I am thinking of using a De Zorel module and a Tice TPT power cord. I talked about this with George Tice and he was very helpful. Once the electricity comes out at 110V, I will use the DIY parallel filters in (www.magnan.com).

I am doing it this way because I am a nomad and rent. You could try something like a DeZorel and filter just before your dedicated line. You'll still need to do some digital noise reduction management.

Jon Risch has a section on DIY balanced power in his website, too.

Hope this helps out.
I will only add that isolation transformers typically work as well or better than many of the highly touted power line filters that are out there. Just make sure that you get one that is rated for more power than you'll ever want to pull out of it. As with most electrical devices, an "old school" iron core transformer will work better than one that uses a "high tech" but lower performing toroidal ( donut with wires wrapped around it ) transformer. Sean
>
Sean, my Power Var is toroidal--hey, $55--and I am very pleased. I figured when I ordered it that as a worst case scenario it would end up with my PC Tower...

I read in Jon Risch's website not to get toroidals--but for $55 I did not have much to lose. It has been a major improvement in my system.

I'm just starting to get my feet wet in this overly neglected subject. There's so much room for improvement!

Again, it is very important to devise a noise control STRATEGY. Magnan's website is extremely helpful in this respect.