Rogue Owners Unite

Hello Rogue Owners. The goal of this thread is to let Rogue owners discuss the tubes they have tried in their amps/preams and discuss other tweeks that have been implemented with success. It would also be nice if you'd post your system components to help us compare notes.
buckingham
Jperry,

Short answer- This preamp really needs NOS tubes in the line stage.

I'm presently using what are suppose to be 60's Russian 6sn7's. I could live with these, but I asked Mark at Rogue Audio (how cool is it when the CEO answers the phone!) to send me a quad of Sylvania 6sn7's when they become available, and I'll keep the Russians as backup.

I put 40 hours on a quad of new Sino 6sn7's (long story) but that's all my ears could take. In my system, with mostly not very well recorded material (50's and 60's blues, R&B, and R&R) they sounded...harsh and two dimensional.

The phono board came with what might be Siemens or Phillips 12ax7's (triangle etched in the base at the center between the pins) in the first gain stage, and Sylvania 5963's (or 5814's) in output stage. I suspect that these were the original tubes from the year of manufacture (about 2000).

I checked my tool box (I'm a retired musician) and put in a pair of NIB 70's RCA 12au7's with good results. I also tried a couple NIB Amperex (yellow box made in West Germany)12ax7's in the first stage, but haven't had time for critical listening of that change yet. Those changes did reduce the noise slightly. I also have about six RCA and Japan NIB 12ax7's on hand, but I'm getting pretty tired of playing with tubes, and ready to get this sorted, and start paying attention to the music.
Thanks for the prompt response Rmar. I should have mentioned mine is a line only preamp. I will contact Mark about buying a set of the NOS Sylvania tubes. I am using NOS GE 6SN& tubes now.
I have:

Vandersteen 2ce's with a pair of W2 subwoofers

rega RP1 with Ortofon Blue

Rega Apollo R

Working with my local store and looking at Rouge.

Cronus 2300.00
Atlas/Metis 3500.00
Audio 99 and M150's used 5000.00

I went in to look at differences of first two and noticed used.

This will probably be my last Pre/Amp upgrade ever.

My questions are as I have never owned tube equipment.

Is there a major cost of replacing tubes over time? I probably will always be a stock tube person as I am the kind of guy who wants to just listen.

Is there a MAJOR difference in Cronus vs Atlas / Metis sound? The store I am loyal to does not have the best auditioning space.

Is the 99 / M150's a great deal or just an okay deal in your opinion? Seems to me it is like getting a "free" preamp. They are 3 years old with "low" hours on tubes. They were bought at same store and customer upgraded tubes.

Thanks for your opinions
It is good to see so many Rogue owners. It surely indicates a vote of confidence for the product.

I don't want to high-jack the thread, but has anyone auditioned or owned the new Rogue Sphinx integrated amp (100 RMS) I am considering downsizing again, and want to buy a first rate IA with above average phono stage for possible later analog restart Will appreciate any comments. My speakers are Acoustic Zen Adagios.